Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oil Leak - VAG TPI & Warranty issue

Oil Leak - VAG TPI & Warranty issue

Hi all, just wondered if anyone has had or heard of this issue?

My 2018 Transporter just went into my local independent for routine service - 30000k's. It's a joy to drive & planning on keeping long term, 10+ years. Mechanic spotted an oil leak around the bottom of the bell-housing between the engine & gearbox. He suspected flywheel bolts were leaking & said he had seen a few with this happening.

Took vehicle into dealership yesterday, who confirmed this & now i have to take it back for warranty repair next week once parts arrive - new seals, bolts etc. I have to leave it with them for 3 days!

Have any of our forum mechanical types come across this?

Thanks for reading, Matt
    Last edited by Transporter; 04-08-2020 at 11:13 AM.
    Current: MY18 TRANSPORTER CrewVan, Indium Grey
    Previous: MY10 Tiguan 2.0TSI, Silver Leaf, APR StgII tune + many mod's

Users Country Flag
    It's pretty common for them to leak from the flywheel bolts.

Gearbox, clutch, and flywheel need to come off, and I believe the rear main seal housing too.

It's one of those jobs where they're best to take their time and do a thorough job. Wouldn't want to do it twice.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Thanks for reply. Yes, my independent guy reckoned the gearbox needed to come off. He advised the issue was documented in a TPI from Volkswagen & that perhaps the flywheel bolts weren't torqued up enough in factory.
    Will report back once the work is done.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by MGV View Post
    Thanks for reply. Yes, my independent guy reckoned the gearbox needed to come off. He advised the issue was documented in a TPI from Volkswagen & that perhaps the flywheel bolts weren't torqued up enough in factory.
    Will report back once the work is done.
    I’d be interested to know for how long you’re without the van.

I’m getting my new van repaired under the warranty right now and honestly, I have very mixed feelings about VW Australia.
    Last edited by Transporter; 27-07-2020 at 07:03 PM.

Hi Miro, is yours going in for the same issue? Mine has been revised from them having for 3 days to 2. Dropping it off tomorrow (Wednesday) Hopefully collecting it Thursday.

I have the same feelings about them working on it as well after some poor results in the past, with my Tiguan...

Users Country Flag
    No, I wish it was just that. I’m looking now at old van to buy, so I don’t have to reduce my business. Since the VW Australia doesn’t know what will happen with that Crafter yet. One week is not enough time for testing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Got a call to collect my van yesterday morning. So the problem is hopefully rectified. Picking it up didn't go without incident, though... Which is why i'm so reluctant to have dealerships work on my vehicle.

2km after collecting my van i get a dash warning to check coolant. I pull over & pop the bonnet to find the coolant reservoir bone dry. 2km back to the workshop & they struggle to come up with a bull5hit reason why, mutter something about a radiator hose with a kink in it & tell me it will be ready in 5 minutes. 1 hour later i'm on my way again.

Today, everything feels fine, fingers crossed there was actually water/coolant in my radiator. They better not email me with a request for a review...

VW Australia emailed today with a request for a review! Haven't done it yet but will get around to it in a couple of days.

After reading of Transporters recent issues with the Crafter, have decided to have my independent mechanic check things out & get their thoughts on the complete lack of coolant 2km after the warranty repair. Wonder if they can check engine oil for contamination? I don't think the coolant went into the engine, i do think they forgot to fill it...

VW Australia emailed today with a request for a review! Haven't done it yet but will get around to it in a couple of days.
    I don't think the coolant went into the engine, i do think they forgot to fill it...
    My mates T5.1 went into a VW dealer for its DSG service and a short time later it was pissing fluid all over his brand new house garage floor . I had a look and found VW had NOT tightened the tranny filter up as it was able to be tightened by fingers for a while until it sealed against the gearbox body . I lost faith in any VW workshop ever since they caused a complete failure on our original T5 Tiptronic auto box because they would not remove the sump to change the internal filter which had become blocked and destroyed the whole thing .

Users Country Flag

After reading of Transporters recent issues with the Crafter, have decided to have my independent mechanic check things out & get their thoughts on the complete lack of coolant 2km after the warranty repair. Wonder if they can check engine oil for contamination? I don't think the coolant went into the engine, i do think they forgot to fill it...
    To check the EGR cooler you need to remove the EGR pipe from cooler into intake manifold, easy enough to find. If any sign of pink fluid there (coolant), I suggest you take it back to them. Also easy enough is to have the engine oil analysed for contamination.

Nulon Store – Our online store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast