Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New T7

I would think though a two litre Tsi is going to be one thirsty beast to get the best out of it, lugging a heavy vehicle compared the same engine in a lighter Golf, particularly as more revs to obtain that torque advantage is going to suck much more fuel. All previous petrol engines TSi, V6 for the T5 were very thirsty ( heavy vehicle) but no doubt smooth to drive when revved. My old 2.5 petrol T4 auto Caravelle was a total juice pig and was not remotely a performance engine and it had to be revved. There is no free lunch in the heavy vehicle department with a high revving petrol engine in fuel consumption no matter how many turbos might be hanging off the engine.

This is why large heavy vehicles of a many brands ( Merc, Audi, VW, KIA, Hyundai, you name it) still tend to go the diesel path, except for where countries are legislating against them. Max torque at 1900 rpm or so 'riding the cam' with say an eight speed auto makes for a relaxed drive in my view!

Would you have V6 Tdi Amarock with 580nm ( noting probably a narrower torque band) or a TSI? I would have the V6 Tdi any day of the week.

Petrol engines for smaller cars and diesel engines for larger vehicles makes sense to me.

Finally my T5 at 128kw and 400nm is no slouch loaded up, powering up a hill or overtaking as it is mostly in the maximum torque band where is needed for each particular gear without having to rev the crap out of it. Even sinking the revs into it does not indicate a noticeable drop off in grunt.

Cheers,

Scott

Users Country Flag
    We have a rare TSI Amarok. In its current state it will go to a 100 in 6.3s which is quicker than the V6s. Yet, at the speed limit, fully loaded for the snow (yearly family trip), it will do the 3500km round trip (BNE to Thredbo and back) averaging 8.9l/100km. In convoy (we normally have 3 dual cabs going) the TDI400 Amarok (daughter 2's partner) struggles to keep up and uses over 10l/100km, whilst the Triton (tuned 2.4TD of daughter 1's partner) uses 11l/100km .... this is on the same trip with similar loads!

So not only is the petrol Amarok lighter on fuel than any of those diesels, it is also significant faster and will go 110 - 150 (to quickly and safely overtake) in just over 5s. Based on on what I've seen and experienced personally, nobody is going to convince me a diesel is better for std sized ute or a MPV (like a Multivan). Bring on a petrol 2.0T T7!

Absolutely for large trucks I'd agree with diesel.
    Current: 2023 MY23 T-Roc R Lapiz Blue + Beats Audio + Black pack 2018 MY19 Golf R manual Lapiz Blue + DAP (mods are underway ) 2018 MY18 Golf 110TSI Trendline manual White (with mods now 150TSI) 2014 Amarok TSI Red (tuned over 200kw + lots of extras) 2013 Up! manual Red 10 Previous VWs and some others ...

Hi Sharkie,
    I got to say that is very impressive. Maybe you have convinced me!
    Cheers,
    Scott

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12