Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A new Multivan competitor?

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by BrianJ View Post
    I see the T6 and later T5 as a downgrade from my 2006 kombi beach, the cheaper four cylinder engine and DSG were done to enable VW to lower the cost of production. My 2006 model has now done 315000 and goes the same as new, and the torque converter 6 speed auto has needed the valve body re-bored and it goes the same as it ever did. I would see no reason the upgrade to another VW.

I have recently investigated campervans that allow the double bed to be placed across the van to make more room, which requires a fairly wide bodied van, like the Fiat ducato size van which is then too big as an everyday car. A bed can almost be mounted across the new Hi-ace, but only if you are very short.

So like others have said, I will continue to maintain mine even though it is expensive as after 15 years there is still nothing on the market to replace the kombi beach, not even from VW.
    I 100% agree, that’s why I couldn’t make myself to buy another T5, the engine was a downgrade and the DSG ....well most of us know.
    The time I almost signed the contract for T5 4 motion, the VW Australia planed silly buggers and deleted manual transmission from the ordering options, so the deal was off. Nowadays, it’s available with manual, I wander what change their minds?

I think VW is spending the bare minimum on the T6.1 and buying time until their new twinned Transporter/Transit Custom release late next year or 2022. Some rumour next new Multivan won't use the Transit Custom/Transporter platform.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12