Support VWWC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A new Multivan competitor?

A new Multivan competitor?

2022 Hyundai Staria revealed, Australian launch timing confirmed

Link to Which Car article for new Hyundai Staria.

Scott

Needs capt pickards voice when you put it in gear... Engage....

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Watch "New 2021 Hyundai Staria - Premium Family Minivan Interior & Exterior" on YouTube
    New 2021 Hyundai Staria - Premium Family Minivan Interior & Exterior - YouTube

From You Tube.

Well it looks promising on a few fronts to me , no nasty DSG back to basics torque converter tranny and hopefully a V6 Petrol engine .. Most definitely have a look at one down the track , getting a bit despondent with VW and their technology that cost an arm and and a leg to fix . Just today another grand on a body control module plus labour and 120k service with a total bill of just over $2100 , a DSG that's starting to give me worrying sounds ie Dual Mass flywheel rattling . Don,t get me wrong but I still love our vans to drive but the repairs on such low km vehicles is starting to give me a bad taste in my mouth and coupled with the last T5 that cost us in excess of nearly 20 k in repairs and again with only around 120 kays on the clock its maybe time to bid VW goodbye .

Hi Howard,

Yes it would be interesting to check one out. And good on Hyundai for having a stab at something different to add another genuine premium full size alternative into the marketplace (from the current Imax), although one might see cues from a Renault Espace or Tarago with that sloping windscreen shape! I will also be interested in the rear dimensions for the feasibility of a rear wheelchair hoist installation as I have in my T5.

I must say I have been relatively lucky with my T5 Multi. I have had it from new ( 200 and have only done about 137,000 kms without too many dramas ( minor stuff). It is still running really well and the auto, touch wood, still shifts as smooth as it did from new. And the five pot engine still goes like a steam train up hills with that mountain of torque. But I feel that latest 6.1 is not enough of a leap forward and time will tell if the T7 will be. Judging by pictures on line of the prototype T7 , yuck!

I wish VW would be a little less restrained in their styling. The latest 6.1 dash layout is cheap looking even with a digital display. In fact I think it looks appalling. The T6 comfort dash is much nicer in my view. Perhaps a bit of an Audi touch for the interior wouldn't hurt give it a more premium look and feel.

Cheers,

Scott

Users Country Flag
    I do like the idea of more options in the market, I'm torn on the design of this one. Is it futuristic cool? Or just plain ugly?

We have spent a small fortune over the last few years (2010 T5GP with 220k), mostly wear and tear items including brake discs and pads, timing belt, dual mass flywheel and shocks and AC compressor. It's going in for service again this week and last time around we were told the injectors are starting to get noisy... hopefully something that isn't needed right now.

It's been great and still runs well but is starting to show its age. The reality is that keeping it running is still cheaper than the cost of a new vehicle, but we have started sort of looking around. The new Multi doesn't strike me as a massive upgrade (which is a lot of the reason we have kept this one so long), pricing has also crept up with the base model being nearly $70k!

The smart move for us would be to keep the Multi as a second vehicle to keep the towing capacity and interior space, sell the Golf Cabriolet, then buy something much smaller (T Cross??) for my Wifes daily commute which is only her and one of the kids. Even the weekends are rarely more than three or four people and usually only one or two. It would almost halve the fuel usage too!

The reality is I'll probably do nothing, keep the two we have and just keep up the maintenance.

If it has an engine or heartbeat it's going to cost you. | Refer a Friend - AussieBroadband $50 Credit

Hi The Hawk,

Yes I am a little undecided on whether the Hyundai is space age cool or ugly as well. I will need to see it in the flesh.

Same thoughts re my current Multivan with not enough changes in the 6.1 to justify forking 70k plus depending on the spec level.

If I look at the new 2021 Kia Carnival Platinum, it is very plush inside and out. But unfortunately not the right internal dimensions for my wheel chair hoist needs. I just don't get why VW don't seem to think it is not important to their customer base and step up with something more modern, fresh and really enticing, than in my view, the staid offering they dish up for an exorbitant price. If only Audi did a sharp, classy passenger version, the high price might be justified!

The V class Merc is not my cup of tea and a little too low for a wheelchair hoist compared to the Multi. So I suppose I will stick with what I have for the foreseeable future.

Cheers, Scott

Watch "New 2022 Hyundai STARIA Lounge MPV Review "The Minivan from Mars"" on YouTube
    New 2022 Hyundai STARIA Lounge MPV Review "The Minivan from Mars" - YouTube

A more detailed review and drive.

Users Country Flag
    I like it

Although, it looks like the iMax had relations with a Tarago and Hyundai was so pleased with the result they kept it LOL.

The way Hyundai is going, i30N for instance, they are looking better and better all the time.
    Current: 2023 MY23 T-Roc R Lapiz Blue + Beats Audio + Black pack 2018 MY19 Golf R manual Lapiz Blue + DAP (mods are underway ) 2018 MY18 Golf 110TSI Trendline manual White (with mods now 150TSI) 2014 Amarok TSI Red (tuned over 200kw + lots of extras) 2013 Up! manual Red 10 Previous VWs and some others ...

I see the T6 and later T5 as a downgrade from my 2006 kombi beach, the cheaper four cylinder engine and DSG were done to enable VW to lower the cost of production. My 2006 model has now done 315000 and goes the same as new, and the torque converter 6 speed auto has needed the valve body re-bored and it goes the same as it ever did. I would see no reason the upgrade to another VW.

I have recently investigated campervans that allow the double bed to be placed across the van to make more room, which requires a fairly wide bodied van, like the Fiat ducato size van which is then too big as an everyday car. A bed can almost be mounted across the new Hi-ace, but only if you are very short.

So like others have said, I will continue to maintain mine even though it is expensive as after 15 years there is still nothing on the market to replace the kombi beach, not even from VW.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast