Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New member intro: Talk me into (our out of) a 2010 Transporter Biturbo

Now that I'm changing my focus to the CAAC single turbo from 2013 onwards, any things to look out for on that engine? I know they have the VAG / VW quirks and unreliability issues, but also that they seem pretty solid. I can deal with that. But does it carry any of the issues similar to the CFCA?

First thing is to check Serpentine and timing belt for wear , second and this is important get what VW describe as a "Robustness Kit " its a divider which fits up between those two belts to prevent them from getting tangled which can happen if the serpentine belt fails . If that belt fails it can get tangled with the timing belt and boom there goes the top end or the whole engine , its a cheap part but VW dont tell owners about it . Apparently Amaroks which has the same motor it is in the service book but not for Transporters .

Users Country Flag
    Once the car is over 7 years old, you have no claim over the dealer besides the cooling off period.
    (in NSW anyway)

I've got a CAAC - 2012 still going strong @ 510,000kms.
    So, the 'moo valve' is like a sensor between the turbo and the EGR and the noise when you turn it off is just it adjusting to the atmospheric pressure outside. Does not affect performance.

Mine has original turbo and is on its' third EGR and on its' third drivers side drive shaft/stub shaft.........which I just happened to change today!

So, as long as they are serviced regularly along with the required belt and filter changes, they have been the main annoyances for me.
    That said, the poor bugger has done a lot of work over the last 11 years!
    2018 Crafter Runner
    T5.2 6sp manual.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunny43.5 View Post
    First thing is to check Serpentine and timing belt for wear , second and this is important get what VW describe as a "Robustness Kit " its a divider which fits up between those two belts to prevent them from getting tangled which can happen if the serpentine belt fails . If that belt fails it can get tangled with the timing belt and boom there goes the top end or the whole engine , its a cheap part but VW dont tell owners about it . Apparently Amaroks which has the same motor it is in the service book but not for Transporters .
    That's good to know. Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by LogicprObe View Post
    Once the car is over 7 years old, you have no claim over the dealer besides the cooling off period.
    (in NSW anyway)

I've got a CAAC - 2012 still going strong @ 510,000kms.
    So, the 'moo valve' is like a sensor between the turbo and the EGR and the noise when you turn it off is just it adjusting to the atmospheric pressure outside. Does not affect performance.

Mine has original turbo and is on its' third EGR and on its' third drivers side drive shaft/stub shaft.........which I just happened to change today!

So, as long as they are serviced regularly along with the required belt and filter changes, they have been the main annoyances for me.
    That said, the poor bugger has done a lot of work over the last 11 years!
    My understanding is that everyone has consumer rights nationally under Australian law. Basically, if you buy from a dealer the car should do what it is supposed to do. So if there's something major not long after purchase, the dealer is legally obliged to do something. Obviously, if it's a year or two or more, you might be on your own.

Good to know your CAAC is going strong. I'm not in a rush, and I need to save a bit more because I'm looking for a CAAC (might even consider a newer biturbo that's been looked after), LWB and manual, with full service history and maybe in a colour other than white. Not asking for much am I? hehe

Users Country Flag

Firum is playing up so this is a separate post rather than linked reply …

Quote Originally Posted by Spooked View Post
    (might even consider a newer biturbo that's been looked after), LWB and manual, with full service history and maybe in a colour other than white. Not asking for much am I? hehe
    This is what I picked up (although it is white) - 2012 with ~212k on the clock. Best as I can tell it is genuine and well maintained (although not fully logged). They are available …

VaughnR @ Canberra
    2012 T5.1 LWB Transporter - Stealth Camper.

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Spooked View Post
    My understanding is that everyone has consumer rights nationally under Australian law. Basically, if you buy from a dealer the car should do what it is supposed to do. So if there's something major not long after purchase, the dealer is legally obliged to do something. Obviously, if it's a year or two or more, you might be on your own.

Good to know your CAAC is going strong. I'm not in a rush, and I need to save a bit more because I'm looking for a CAAC (might even consider a newer biturbo that's been looked after), LWB and manual, with full service history and maybe in a colour other than white. Not asking for much am I? hehe
    I think it's a stretch to expect a dealer to warranty an unknown vehicle with 140k that is well over 10 years old. I'd certainly expect them to fight if something failed. Even having a roadworthy and service history doesn't remove the possibility of failures.

I had a young lad come to my shop, bought a mk6 GTI from a VW dealer for top money. Over 10 years old and 140k. He had spent nearly 6k on repairs and I looked after him. The last one was for a stuck open injector, on pulling it apart, someone had been there and replaced one sometime previously. Should the selling dealer be responsible for the injector and subsequent drama?
    I don't think so

Good luck with the search and put some extra money away for the unforeseen costs.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12