Thread: New to Australia T5 TDI400 Question

Users Country Flag

New to Australia T5 TDI400 Question

Hello,

My company asked us to move over last year so the family and I made the move in September from the US. I was a VW Van owner stateside with my latest a T3 1987 Synco that I fit with a 1.9TDI was sad to have to sell it but I'm happy to be able to be looking at vans we can't get in the states like the T5. With that said I am looking for advice on the following:

2015 Highline TDI400
    165,000 Km
    Complete VW Service records
    Last Dealer service was at 160,000

I test drove the van for over an hour, no smoke, no temp issues (gauge did not budge), acceleration and idle all smooth. Fluids looked good but I am sure this was either due to the seller changing it or the fact that there was an oil change when last at the VW dealer. I used my ODB2 reader and showed no codes or errors. I put a deposit on it as it will take 10 days for the dealer to get it register for VIC so I have some time to think about it. Deposit is fully refundable.

Van has definitely been very well cared for and drove incredibly well. I see a lot of posts about issues with the BiTurbos but they also seem to be the older ones (2010-2012). I would likely get a tune and EGR delete, I think. I have driven a few others during my search and this one definitely drove the best but it was also the only 400 I have driven. In the past I have always been a fan of the last MY as it was typically the ones where most issues are resolved prior to the new MY's coming out. Only other thing I would mention is that I had a travel trailer (caravan) back in the states and looking to get one here down the road and looking to use the T5 as my tow vehicle.

Thanks in advance for any newbie T5 advice!
    Last edited by USINOZZ; 20-03-2022 at 08:44 PM.

i seem to recall CFCA engines were suspect, due to EGR issues contaminating engine oil and leading to failure or advanced wear.

CFCA engines from different years

and

https://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/for...ll-130583.html

Auto or manual?
    For regular towing I'd lean towards a manual.

My 04 tiptronic auto $9K gearbox rebuild at 160K km. Van only has 185K now. I hardly ever tow.Newer models are totally different gearbox though
    Last edited by Rebuild; 21-03-2022 at 08:21 AM.
    Steve
    04 T5 auto 2.5L TDI

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Thanks Steve

This is an Auto, have had a harder time finding a decent manual but being that I'm in the "might tow something mind set" I guess I can pause on that.

I guess it might be too much to hope that one serviced regularly at the dealer and drove well is in good enough shape that if I do the EGR delete with a tune that it will be ok. Sounds like if it has the D series EGR then might be in a good spot and then could do the delete to ensure things going forward. Might be able to get the dealer to take a picture since I did not know to check that prior.

Stateside there is a service called Carfax that will show you all the service records. Vehicles that went to a dealer always have the records noted on the report. Non dealer service shops usually have it entered for newer vehicles. Is there anything similar here? Thinking if there is a noted EGR service it might give me some insight.

Thanks again

Joe..

Users Country Flag
    2014 Skoda Yeti TDI Outdoor 4x4 | Audi Q3 CFGC repower | Darkside cams | Darkside dump pDPF | Wagner Comp IC | Water Meth | Bilstein B6 H&R springs | Rays Homura 2x7 18 x 8" 255 Michelin 4s | Golf R subframe | Superpro sway and bushings | 034 engine mounts | MK6 GTI brakes.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Thanks Greg

I was just looking at that last night.
    Just seems like a mess with the EGR corrosion