Support VWWC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help from a T6 Multivan owner

Users Country Flag

Need help from a T6 Multivan owner

HI All,

I have a Kombi 70 arriving in the middle of may and plan to get it nice and low and get a set of 20/21 on it for daily use.

If someone could take a photo of their tyre Placard for me that would be awesome. I just need to see what my options are with regards to tyres before i buy and want to make sure i have the correct load rating.

Thanks in advance

R

Please take this advice from me as someone who has experienced over many years the problems associated with oversized wheels and lo profile tyre combo's above manufacturers specs . From looking online at Multivan specs it seems that they only list 17 inch rims as an option maybe 18's as well but not certain , now once you go to 20-21 the tyre diameter gets smaller and smaller . My personal experience from being in the car busines for now 50 years is that these days with lo profile tyres several problems occur .
    1/ ride comfort is compromised you cannot expect rubber bands to give the same ride and comfort as the smaller rim combo would give .

2 / suspension would also suffer from those rubber bands as the shock from road surface is then transferred to the suspension components causing early wear and tear and for my business rattles in the trim parts etc .

3/ I have tried lo profile tyres on my work van on stock suspension and they only stayed on the van for a month or so , it was my back and trips to the chiropractor or them . My back won the fight and I replaced the tyres with correct ones and life is wonderful again . I fit sunroofs to cars for a living and without fail the number one complaint we often get is rattles in the sunroof area , as soon as I see the car I can tell why they have problems . I explain the bit about rubber bands and that any fix to their car will happen again , maybe the other guys will have a different opinion but you asked so this is my take on the subject . Now you would see online more so in Europe that many vans have been slammed with those specs you asked about , you have to remember Europe roads are by far superior to most of ours . I now wait for some others to give their side of their experiences , I hope you get an answer which helps with your decision . This is our current ride on 17's with a Bilstein Coil over suspension shod with 17x 235 tyres 103 rating .
    Need help from a T6 Multivan owner-debs-van-jpg
    Last edited by Sunny43.5; 12-04-2018 at 10:27 PM.

Hopefully this works. 2016 T6 SWB Multivan. Apologies for the last line being blurry, I actually had this photo from a few months ago. If you need that last line let me know and I'll try get it next week.

Need help from a T6 Multivan owner-smartselect_20180413-032714_gallery-jpg
    Last edited by TheKiwi; 13-04-2018 at 03:38 AM.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by TheKiwi View Post
    Hopefully this works. 2016 T6 SWB Multivan. Apologies for the last line being blurry, I actually had this photo from a few months ago. If you need that last line let me know and I'll try get it next week.

Need help from a T6 Multivan owner-smartselect_20180413-032714_gallery-jpg
    Thanks just what i needed

So it looks like factory specs for multi with were what I thought 16's to 18's only .

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunny43.5 View Post
    Please take this advice from me as someone who has experienced over many years the problems associated with oversized wheels and lo profile tyre combo's above manufacturers specs . From looking online at Multivan specs it seems that they only list 17 inch rims as an option maybe 18's as well but not certain , now once you go to 20-21 the tyre diameter gets smaller and smaller . My personal experience from being in the car busines for now 50 years is that these days with lo profile tyres several problems occur .
    1/ ride comfort is compromised you cannot expect rubber bands to give the same ride and comfort as the smaller rim combo would give .

2 / suspension would also suffer from those rubber bands as the shock from road surface is then transferred to the suspension components causing early wear and tear and for my business rattles in the trim parts etc .

3/ I have tried lo profile tyres on my work van on stock suspension and they only stayed on the van for a month or so , it was my back and trips to the chiropractor or them . My back won the fight and I replaced the tyres with correct ones and life is wonderful again . I fit sunroofs to cars for a living and without fail the number one complaint we often get is rattles in the sunroof area , as soon as I see the car I can tell why they have problems . I explain the bit about rubber bands and that any fix to their car will happen again , maybe the other guys will have a different opinion but you asked so this is my take on the subject . Now you would see online more so in Europe that many vans have been slammed with those specs you asked about , you have to remember Europe roads are by far superior to most of ours . I now wait for some others to give their side of their experiences , I hope you get an answer which helps with your decision . This is our current ride on 17's with a Bilstein Coil over suspension shod with 17x 235 tyres 103 rating .
    Need help from a T6 Multivan owner-debs-van-jpg
    Appreciate the advice. I have had alot of experience with lowered cars with large wheels. The comfort for me is not that much of a concern as its not going to be a daily its really just a car that i thought id like to own. Ive spent the past few years in an edition 30 caddy on very low suspension and big wheels so im used to it. I know where you are going with the back issues but thats a risk im prepared to take.

I do think a 20 will be too big and the standard wheel at 18 might be OK i will wait and see where it goes to once its been lowered. ONce the car arrives we can see where we go,

IN the hunt for tyres i want to make sure i get the load rating right before jumping in.

R

18's would be the maximum I would go with because at least you will still get more than one rubber band between you and the road LOL. We use our van to go camping and moto cross riding . A typical two day trip will include the whole rear of the van full of camp gear and riding gear food drinks you get the picture 3 people aboard , then the box trailer with 3 full sized bikes fuel water more camp gear . The only time we notice that the van is lowered is one section of highway outside Aratula which has more dragon backs than a roller coaster . After many years of traversing this section I now know what part to avoid as it will respond with a dull thump when the suspension hits the rebound blocks , other than that the van does a fabulous job .
    Last edited by Sunny43.5; 13-04-2018 at 07:36 PM.

Users Country Flag
    I run 19 inch rims with legal tyres and a 40mm drop. It’s very comfortable and looks about right.
    There is a thread I started 19inch with pictures
    Last edited by Husky310; 13-04-2018 at 09:34 PM.

Users Country Flag
    I have a T6 Gen Six and considering 19" wheels and lowering 50mm. Plenty of good info on the UK Facebook forums.Need help from a T6 Multivan owner-img_2748-jpg
    [/COLOR] 2016 VW Golf GTI MK7 40 Years, DSG, Tornado Red, Tinted Windows,
    2016 VW T6 Multivan Generation Six, Cherry Red with Candy White, VanEssa System with Kitchen, Mattress, Storage Bags, Swivel Seat, Roof Racks with Thule Pod, Dometic Anthracite Awning, Blackout Curtains, Bonnet Bra plus more ..

Users Country Flag

I have a 2018 Multivan comfortline want to upgrade 18 inch rims.
    Is ok to use factory specs size 255/45r18 103 ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast