Support VWWC

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Multivan Camper Conversion

Users Country Flag

Multivan Camper Conversion

Hi All, excuse my ignorance but,

Can someone tell me why you don't see multivan/camper conversions around? All you see are transporter conversions.

I would of thought that a multivan conversion would be a better option or does the dual sliding doors prevent this from happening?

With all the extras you get in the multivan compared to a transporter i would of thought it would be a better suit for a conversion.

What's with the horrible roller rock seats that are only available on the eastern coast. WA conversions use a RIB seat that looks a 100% better and are both 3 point safety harness which i thought would be a safer option.

Apart from the Trakkadu it seems no one else does a dual 3 point safety seat belts in the rear for passengers.

You pretty well summed up your own question , if its a Multi van the converters would have to deal with all the luxury bits and pieces and the cost of a multi would make a conversion out of reach so that's why they mainly do standard Transporters All those expensive side trims and carpets would get destroyed to accommodate all the camper bits and pieces .

Users Country Flag
    The problem I see with converting the Multivan is that you lose the aircon vents in the back making the back uncomfortable for passengers. It looks like the Californian gets around this by running the aircon along the side instead of across the middle.

I would love to see the Californian available in Australia, but even so, it seems that you can't get the Multivan-style Californian (ie. 2 sliding doors and 7 seats) in the 4Motion, which is a real shame.

Users Country Flag

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    That's exactly what I'm looking for but a bit too far away. Just got to try and convince the other half that this is a half way mark to a full glamping machine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2014 T5 132Kw Twin Turbo, 2016 "D" Suffix EGR Cooler, 4 Motion, 7Spd DSG + Diff Lock, Frontline Camper.

Users Country Flag
    It's a great setup and what I have been aiming for but haven't been able to find exactly what I want yet.
    We currently have a Toyota Super Custom which is a 4wd 8 seater Hiace which the seats fold down to be a bed (same as the Multivan). It doesn't have a pop-up roof (which I'd really love to have) but it does have a massive opening sun roof in the back which helps. We use it as our every day car and we often use it as a bus so it's important to have he passenger comfort in the back.
    The Super Custom is getting a bit old 1994) so I've just placed an order for a new Multivan with 4Motion. I wanted another 4wd van and VW seemed to be the only option available in Australia. It still won't be ideal for camping but it will be brilliant every other day of the year and as a bus. There are also some great after-market camping additions that you can get for the Multivan that attach straight on the seat rails.
    Have you checked out the Californian which is made in the VW factory. It comes in a couple of versions; the beach, which is a Multivan with a pop-top; and the Ocean which is a full blown camper.
    The beach is almost exactly what I want although it doesn't come in 4 motion. Only the Ocean has 4motion. Unfortunately neither of these are sold in Australia but they are sold in England so they are RHD. I have ended up going down the Multivan path but at least I know that everything I want is achievable.
    Here's a link to a review of the Californian.
    First Drive: Volkswagen California Beach | Top Gear
    Let me know what you end up doing and if you come up with any good options that might be useful for my Multivan.

We have a place in Brisbane that do Pop Tops for about 8000 for the transporter and about 9500-10000 on the multivan. The reason I don't like the transporter conversions is that all the seats you see are just the slabs of foam on some ply and then 1 x 3 point safety harness and then a lap sash belt. At least the W.A vans made at Dove VW Transporter T6 - Dove Camper Conversions and thereis another place but i've lst the address have a better seat call a RIB seat.

Users Country Flag
    Craig - it's probably WESBAR VANQIP. They use Techsafe - Automotive Seating Solutions | Techsafe Seating seats which you can get anywhere in OZ
    Christian Sieg

Just had a look at them, but it isn't the same as these.
    Campervan Beds & Seats | RIB Beds | VW T5 Rock and Roll Bed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2014 T5 132Kw Twin Turbo, 2016 "D" Suffix EGR Cooler, 4 Motion, 7Spd DSG + Diff Lock, Frontline Camper.

I wish VW would start selling The California in Australia. I have one that we imported but I now want the 4wd ocean too. Such a great car to use in Australia

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast