Thread: LED Trailer Lights

Users Country Flag

LED Trailer Lights

I've rewired the plug on my trailer twice now, and the lights on the trailer (all LEDs) work perfectly on my wife's Territory.

Is there something weird with the Multivan lighting circuits that makes the vehicle think there's a fault with the trailer lights because they're LEDs? Do I have to put a resistor in the trailer somewhere or something?

Can anyone help please?

Had a similar problem with my B6 Passat, all worked fine with normal globes but once I put LED lights on the trailer, nothing. Do you have LED lights on the bus? Plugged the trailer onto a Toyota and worked fine, normal lights, not LED's. I had to buy a special connection, that plugged between the car plug and the trailer, from VW's to allow it to work. Over $100 from memory.

Users Country Flag
    VWs trailer control module is not compatible with LED lights.

There is an adaptor you can buy from Volkswagen, but it's probably easier to change the trailer lights to the tried and tested incandescent bulbs.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Do what I did , when we got our new T5.1 and used the VW loom from our old van it threw up faults , So I went to Speedy Tow bars and they had a small box prewired for VW,s , it has a a series of relays inside the box for each light . The relays stop the vans canbus from seeing the LEDs and ours has worked perfectly for over 8 years now .