Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: installed KONI "Active Frequency Selective Damping" shocks on my Multivan

Users Country Flag

installed KONI "Active Frequency Selective Damping" shocks on my Multivan

My Multivan became very unpleasant to ride in by 136k kms, especially in the rear bench where it became very harsh, I was dreading any trips in it.

Took the plunge and installed Koni's new product specifically for T5/T6, front and rear shocks with their "Active Frequency Selective Damping". The "active" bit is really passive, but designed to re-create the behaviour of an active system.

KONI | New product release Special ACTIVE for Volkswagen T5 & T6 Incl. Campers

So, the impressions are, considering my main goal was to make it most confortable to rear passengers:
    * the old original shocks, it tried compressing/uncompressing them manually after removal, they had inconsitent movements, so definetely worn out by this stage.
    * With the KONIs, bumps are more heard than felt. There is a feeling of rounding off of any impact. The ride feels soft enough to cruise long distances.
    * when turning, turning does not feel very challenging, so first thought was that I must not be turning very fast as there is still soft cushy feel with enough body roll. But when checking the speed, turning was at faster speed than before, but with much less stress to it.
    * the overall feeling is that of effortlessness. It makes you want to keep driving the Multivan on and on. Especcialy, making it much better for rear passengers. But, do not expect them to be a hard-edged, roll-free thing, which is not what I was after. Overall, very happy with the KONI's.

I ordered them from a UK online shop as the local distro was out of stock. Installed at a VW dealer. I did the rears first (much cheaper to install just the rears, and since I liked them subsequently did the fronts.).

Befopre installig the KONIs, I considered to swap the Multivan for M-B V250, I took it for a test drive at freeway speed and sat in the 3rd row. Not great for ride in the back, no better than a multivan, despite the adaptive dampers on the M-B.
    Last edited by Tig-uan; 29-03-2019 at 02:43 PM.
    Multivan MY12 TSI350 Red. Previous: 2008 Tiguan 103Tdi. 2010 Tiguan 125TSi.

Users Country Flag
    My 2007 at 175 is starting to get so so & I've been wondering which way to go.

How many foldings did it set you back?

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Rear shocks are $150 installation (45min work). Between $400 and $650 for rear shocks themselves, depending if sourced o/s or locally .
    Front struts are around $700 installation (4h work). Between $650 and $1000 for struts themselves, depending if sourced o/s or locally.
    Also, when changing fronts, they recommend "Suspention Top Mount with Bearing" are also changed as it takes a lot of work to get to the fronts, so might as well change all wearable there.

Users Country Flag
    Thanks.

Hi mate,

May I ask where you purchased the KONIs and had them installed?

Thanks,
    D

Quote Originally Posted by Tig-uan View Post
    My Multivan became very unpleasant to ride in by 136k kms, especially in the rear bench where it became very harsh, I was dreading any trips in it.

Took the plunge and installed Koni's new product specifically for T5/T6, front and rear shocks with their "Active Frequency Selective Damping". The "active" bit is really passive, but designed to re-create the behaviour of an active system.

KONI | New product release Special ACTIVE for Volkswagen T5 & T6 Incl. Campers

So, the impressions are, considering my main goal was to make it most confortable to rear passengers:
    * the old original shocks, it tried compressing/uncompressing them manually after removal, they had inconsitent movements, so definetely worn out by this stage.
    * With the KONIs, bumps are more heard than felt. There is a feeling of rounding off of any impact. The ride feels soft enough to cruise long distances.
    * when turning, turning does not feel very challenging, so first thought was that I must not be turning very fast as there is still soft cushy feel with enough body roll. But when checking the speed, turning was at faster speed than before, but with much less stress to it.
    * the overall feeling is that of effortlessness. It makes you want to keep driving the Multivan on and on. Especcialy, making it much better for rear passengers. But, do not expect them to be a hard-edged, roll-free thing, which is not what I was after. Overall, very happy with the KONI's.

I ordered them from a UK online shop as the local distro was out of stock. Installed at a VW dealer. I did the rears first (much cheaper to install just the rears, and since I liked them subsequently did the fronts.).

Befopre installig the KONIs, I considered to swap the Multivan for M-B V250, I took it for a test drive at freeway speed and sat in the 3rd row. Not great for ride in the back, no better than a multivan, despite the adaptive dampers on the M-B.

HI D. I bought both fronts and rears from BalanceMotorsport, which is an online shop in the UK. The AU distributor was out of stock at the time, and there was a price difference too. You can get the part number from koni.com for your model, and then search online by part number.

The Rear shocks are very cheap and easy to install, as the mounting bolts are very accessible, I had them done by a local mechanic. I recommend getting the rears at least if you do not have the budget for the fronts.
    The Front Struts I installed at an official VW dealer in my area, after a brief discussion to talk them into installing a 3rd party product that I brought in with me, price was reasonable. I was getting much higher quoted installation prices from "koni partners" locally.
    Last edited by Tig-uan; 09-12-2020 at 03:32 PM.

Users Country Flag
    I am considering new shocks, 2012 Highline done 170kkm, my preference is a soft smooth ride rather than a firm sporty setup, thank you for the Komi info, what other shock recommendations have you guys got, tia.

These Konis do give a very soft smooth ride. That was their point, to be both soft and well handling. Other options, I came across, were focus on off-road applications.

Users Country Flag
    Thanks Tig

Users Country Flag

What is Multivan category regarding weight classification in UK, T28 T30 T32
    My 2012 Highline, rego paper tare is 2249. Owners manual DSG Gross is 3000/3080, Kerb is 2181-2499
    Tia.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast