Support VWWC

Thread: Inconsistent dipstick oil level readings.

Inconsistent dipstick oil level readings.

Hello all,
    In almost forty years of driving and checking oil levels, I have not come across a more painful dip stick to obtain an accurate oil level reading as on the Multivan ( 08 tdi).

I had it serviced last week and each time I check the oil level dead cold on a level surface I cannot seem to obtain an consistantly accurate repeatable reading. It can seem towards the max mark on the non etched side of the dipstick and on the Lower bulb ( below minimum ) on the etched side. So not the same level on each side of the dipstick.

Also oil drags up the dipstick onto the upper bulb above the maximum mark which can lead to the impression of over filling.

I also wonder if the dip stick is acting as a plunger creating some vacuum each time it is inserted or removed?

I have tried hot or cold. Anybody else having this issue?

I am taking it back to the Service place tomorrow to see if they can verify the correct level.

Thanks,

Scott

I agree , they should have stuck with the type my T4 had a flat metal one easy as pie to see the level consistently . Maybe do what I did with my 2005 T5 I ground off one side to give a flatter surface to see the level .

Thanks Sunny,
    Yes it is flat only where to etched area is from min to max.

I know there often conjecture whether to check oil level totally cold or alternatively say 15 mins after warmed up engine depending on manufacturer handbook.

Still a pain in the butt dipstick to use with oil crawling up the dipstick or not showing consistently repeatedly on both sides of the flat section.

Users Country Flag
    I always pull it and wipe it and put in in for 10 secs and then read it as it doesnt give it time to wick up the stick
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
    I always pull it and wipe it and put in in for 10 secs and then read it as it doesnt give it time to wick up the stick
    Thanks. I have tried a few seconds method as well and still cannot get a consistent reading. Even doing it very slowly so as to avoid creating a vacuum effect if it was plunged in and out quickly. It seems if I pull the dip stick out ever so slightly, put in and then pull out fully, it appears to be at max on the non etched side and occasionally the same on the etched side but not consistently. And bit of wicking on the top bulb - which could give the impression of over filling but probably not.

Even leaving it for 10mins does not seem to help either.

It should not have to be such a science experiment!

Any one heard of after market dip sticks that are better (.

Users Country Flag
    Mind you, there are cars without the dipstick. The oil level reading taken only electronically from the oil level sensor and if top up is needed, the driver is instructed to put certain amount of oil into the engine. So, don’t stress about it if the reading on each side of dipstick is different. Try insert it in and turn it around.

Quote Originally Posted by Transporter View Post
    Mind you, there are cars without the dipstick. The oil level reading taken only electronically from the oil level sensor and if top up is needed, the driver is instructed to put certain amount of oil into the engine. So, don’t stress about it if the reading on each side of dipstick is different. Try insert it in and turn it around.
    Thinks Transporter. I also turned it around and it wasn't entirely successful. I figure I will go with the higher reading of the two sides which is the non etched side. I will head back to the service center today to get them recheck the oil level so we are all in agreement.

I am aware of the latest electronic oil level sensors. It got me thinking about a 1977 Lanca HPE I owned back in the early 80s. It had an oil level gauge. Press a button with engine off and it created a vacuum from the gauge via capillary tube attached to a hollow dipstick. Brilliantly simple, convenient and pretty accurate! It would have been a hit I am sure if car brands adopted this. And still could pull the dipstick manually to compare.

Users Country Flag
    I think you are over worrying about this After all a 3mm difference on each side of the stick will be about 100ml of oil

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
    I think you are over worrying about this After all a 3mm difference on each side of the stick will be about 100ml of oil
    I thought it was about a litre difference from min mark to max mark. Anyway point taken.

Thanks and Regards, Scott.

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Caravelle View Post
    I thought it was about a litre difference from min mark to max mark. Anyway point taken.

Thanks and Regards, Scott.
    It is but how much difference between levels on each side and does the stick go in vertically or on a bit of an angle