Support VWWC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I hate myself, Today I hit a bollard - door replacement T5.2

I hate myself, Today I hit a bollard - door replacement T5.2

As per the title. In an act of stupidity today I hit a bollard in a Bunnings car park. Reversed out of a space swinging right and hit the drivers side door. It's made a slight compression of the sill below the door but not too bad, but the door took the brunt and is not looking so good. My guess is it's gonna cost more than the $800 excess, but just wondering if anyone knows roughly off hand where I could go for a spare door or skin? What price should I be looking at?

I'll take a pic in the light tomorrow and post up the shame!

Sent by courier pigeon

Here is where I offer words of sympathy for you , I have to admit I have made similar hits on my work van . Lets see three times the mirrors have been ripped clean off last time I managed to dent the door as well , side swiped a gate post hidden amongst some bushes large shallow depression along sliding door with some scrapes , and drove off concrete edge of entrance into under ground carpark ended up with van suspended with one wheel off the ground and the sill under the drivers door crushed up stopping the door from being opened , used a block of wood and a large hammer to beat the metal back down so I could use the drivers door . Try Ebay as there is always one or two ads for T5's being wrecked .2005 TO 2013 VW T5 Transporter Multivan R H Front Door With Glass Regulator | eBay

Quote Originally Posted by Foxpuppet View Post
    My guess is it's gonna cost more than the $800 excess,
    My experience with these minor accidents is they always cost 2 or 3 times more than you expect. The type of paint can also have a negative effect on cost. eg pearl effect costs more.
    Understand how it works, troubleshoot logically BEFORE replacing parts.
    2001 T4 TRAKKA Syncro 2.5TDI,2006 Mk5 2.0TDI Golf manual,2001 Polo 1.4 16V manual [now sold], '09 2.0CR TDI Tiguan manual,
    Numerous Mk1 Golf diesels

It's just standard commercial white on my van I'm afraid
    I hate myself, Today I hit a bollard - door replacement T5.2-imageuploadedbytapatalk1401756285-052694-jpg
    I hate myself, Today I hit a bollard - door replacement T5.2-imageuploadedbytapatalk1401756296-917387-jpg
    I hate myself, Today I hit a bollard - door replacement T5.2-imageuploadedbytapatalk1401756308-283853-jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Sunny43.5 View Post
    Looks like The goods thanks sunny.
    I searched this morning, how do you keep finding these?

with the dust and flies in western Victoria
    Judging by his past experiences...I'd say it's because he's always looking!!

I called the guys on that link. $700 for the door skin. Plus I asked about the rear bumper as mine has a small hole from a trailer mishap. $300 for the bumper.

I'm thinking of just paying the excess as I'll get the door and sill repaired for the $800 excess and they quoted me an extra $150 to plastic weld the bumper.

I'm thinking of getting the bumpers done front and rear to color code. They quoted
    $1300 to do the plastic repair, remove and prime the rear bumper and black corner panels below the lights and paint match them to the body colour, then remove and prime the front bumper and grills and paint the bumper to match body colour and grills to matte black.

Reckon that sounds like a reasonable price?

3 day turnaround and can be done next week. I'm not in any rush though so want to make a good decisionz

with the dust and flies in western Victoria
    Sounds OK to me! Should tidy it up nicely.

By the way...I only just realised you're a Burner as well!

I would ask the repairers whether they are re skinning the door or are they replacing the whole thing . The only problem with re skinning is you lose the rust and corrosion protection from factory as the rewelding will compromise the galvanizing . The second hand door if all good will not need any work at all just unplug harness unbolt and fit . Not sure about painting the bumper as the standard ones are not as smooth as the ones you see on multi vans etc , the standard ones have a deep texture on them .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast