Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I hate myself, Today I hit a bollard - door replacement T5.2

Thanks Seano you are right I do spend time looking as I have to do the same for my work . For instance I needed some parts for a customers BMW X5 Panorama Sunroof , BMW dealer here in Brisbane $928 off the internet from ECS Tuning in America delivered to my door $325 any wonder I use the net to look for stuff .
    Quote Originally Posted by Seano View Post
    Judging by his past experiences...I'd say it's because he's always looking!!

Quote Originally Posted by Seano View Post
    Sounds OK to me! Should tidy it up nicely.

By the way...I only just realised you're a Burner as well!
    Far kin Burner from way back

Sent by courier pigeon

Quote Originally Posted by Sunny43.5 View Post
    I would ask the repairers whether they are re skinning the door or are they replacing the whole thing . The only problem with re skinning is you lose the rust and corrosion protection from factory as the rewelding will compromise the galvanizing . The second hand door if all good will not need any work at all just unplug harness unbolt and fit . Not sure about painting the bumper as the standard ones are not as smooth as the ones you see on multi vans etc , the standard ones have a deep texture on them .
    Yeah I'll ask them what method they use.

I'm insured with nrma and the 'preferred' repairer is different from the last one they sent me to. The last guys are right next door to the shop I install for which is very handy, I've asked them to give me a price as well for the bumper work. They are a smaller workshop but I see them do a lot of work on high end cars.

I've been checking out pics of vans from the uk to see what they look like painted up. Seems a lot of modding goes on over there. Results range from hideous to pretty schmick.

Sent by courier pigeon

Users Country Flag

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by Foxpuppet View Post
    As per the title. In an act of stupidity today I hit a bollard in a Bunnings car park. Reversed out of a space swinging right and hit the drivers side door. It's made a slight compression of the sill below the door but not too bad, but the door took the brunt and is not looking so good. My guess is it's gonna cost more than the $800 excess, but just wondering if anyone knows roughly off hand where I could go for a spare door or skin? What price should I be looking at?

I'll take a pic in the light tomorrow and post up the shame!

Sent by courier pigeon

LOL. I did exactly the same thing at a Bunnings about 2 years ago when I had my MY05. Sooooo angry at myself!!!

The funny thing was (not at the time) I deliberately parked well away from all the other cars do avoid the doors and trolleys. When I got back to the car some tool parked about a foot away right next to me. He had about 300 other spots to choose from in an almost empty car park but he parks his ****ebox ute next to me. So while I'm cursing this DH I had to swing the opposite way to get out and then CRUNCH!

I was looking at a second hand door too but they were way too expensive. Ended up paying the excess and had it fixed by a smash repairer. They put a new door on and repaired a little bit of sill damage.

Quote Originally Posted by t5dude View Post
    I deliberately parked well away from all the other cars do avoid the doors and trolleys. When I got back to the car some tool parked about a foot away right next to me. He had about 300 other spots to choose from in an almost empty car park but he parks his ****ebox ute next to me.
    This sort of thing happens to you as well ? It's amazing that other drivers just don't get it. I try & get the end of a row so that there is only 50% chance of damage to my doors.
    Understand how it works, troubleshoot logically BEFORE replacing parts.
    2001 T4 TRAKKA Syncro 2.5TDI,2006 Mk5 2.0TDI Golf manual,2001 Polo 1.4 16V manual [now sold], '09 2.0CR TDI Tiguan manual,
    Numerous Mk1 Golf diesels

I hate myself, Today I hit a bollard - door replacement T5.2

Quote Originally Posted by t5dude View Post
    LOL. I did exactly the same thing at a Bunnings about 2 years ago when I had my MY05. Sooooo angry at myself!!!

The funny thing was (not at the time) I deliberately parked well away from all the other cars do avoid the doors and trolleys. When I got back to the car some tool parked about a foot away right next to me. He had about 300 other spots to choose from in an almost empty car park but he parks his ****ebox ute next to me. So while I'm cursing this DH I had to swing the opposite way to get out and then CRUNCH!

I was looking at a second hand door too but they were way too expensive. Ended up paying the excess and had it fixed by a smash repairer. They put a new door on and repaired a little bit of sill damage.
    Haha the whole reason I parked near the friggin bollard is the same as you. In the last month I've taken 3 small hits on the van all on the drivers side. So in a moment of sheer brilliance I figure I'll park near the crossing so as to avoid taking yet another hit. As I got in the car I even looked at the bollard then sat there looking in my work diary before starting the engine then hey presto I'll swing out the other way and BANG.

I reckon it's mainly kids getting out of cars though. Drivers are normally more alert/careful so the passenger side of my van is unscathed.

Sent by courier pigeon

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12