Support VWWC

Thread: Hyundai IMAX seat in 2011 Transporter?

Hyundai IMAX seat in 2011 Transporter?

I'm looking to retrofit a 3 seater in the back of my transporter. I was pricing up the options and it's around $13-1500 to get one done in Sydney from a professional installer.

I've got a work colleague who offered to sell me the spare from his iMax he removed to fit his van out for work for $200

I'll do some measurements to see if it even possible to fit it but can anyone see what issues I might face? is it worth it?

Is getting the seat professionally installed necessary for insurance or safety?

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most definitely you should get it done by a certified person , to ensure the people who use the seat are covered by insurance in the event of an accident its imperative . If not certified and someone was hurt it can cost you millions as insurance will not cover them . Yes its an expensive exercise but as I used to tell my customers what price do you put on your children,s lives . Yes I used to do this work for a living in Qld . In most states there are unseen requirements that most people miss , you will probably need to fit child anchor points for children [EVEN IF YOU DON'T HAVE ANY] children that is as its a ADR requirement , new seatbelts should also be fitted as the rules here state that there is no way of knowing if the seat belts supplied with the seat have already been in an accident . In an accident the seat belts have predetermined amount of stretch and once in an accident they will not absorb the impact safely . Then the seat must be bolted in with the correct bolts and under floor reinforcing plates . Hope this helps , regards Howard PS a fair part of the cost is for an engineers certificate .

Ok so certified is a goer, what about the fitment of the iMax seat vs whatever the installer normally uses?

You would need to take the seat to an installer to see how it is attached to the floor , a fixed seat is not so bad but a folding one can be quite difficult to do . A folding seat would probably have seat belts attached and needs some serious reinforcing under the floor . I can 't help with specifics as I have been out of that industry for 15 years and the Iload wasn't even around in those days !

So $1730 later I have a new seat installed and blue slipped.

Seat folds down flat and rolls forward quite easily. Has 2 release pins to remove the whole thing. Drove 6 hours today and the rear passengers all had good reports about comfort. Baby seat was fitted as well in the middle.

Looks good was it the fitters seat or the Hyundai one and does the child seat upper belt attach to a fitting on the back of the seat ?

Quote Originally Posted by Sunny43.5 View Post
    Looks good was it the fitters seat or the Hyundai one and does the child seat upper belt attach to a fitting on the back of the seat ?
    Fitters seat. I did enquire about the Iload but the issue was with the mounting points. It may have fitted, but lacked the features of the one I got.
    The seat has 3 anchor points in the back of it for child restraints.

Excellent as I said I used to do that sort of work for many years , we used to build and test our own seats it was a costly job as we would build seats and then test them to destruction . If it seemed all good we then got an engineer to attend a test so he could document the results . We had our own testing rigs and Load Cell you would be amazed at the amount of measuring and setting up belts and anchor points etc .