Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: hunting DPF

Users Country Flag

Lucky!!

I'd highly suggest fitting a Provent 200, dead easy on the transporter, to cull the oil blowby. Oil ash is what builds up in the DPF, can't be cooked out at normal car regen temps, and you will already be getting some oil burnt via normal engine oil leak spots, rings, valve guides, turbo bearings etc etc, so adding all the oil blowby going in pre turbo is all bad news for both inlet tract clogging and DPF ash loads.

But hey it's up to you!
    2014 Skoda Yeti TDI Outdoor 4x4 | Audi Q3 CFGC repower | Darkside cams | Darkside dump pDPF | Wagner Comp IC | Water Meth | Bilstein B6 H&R springs | Rays Homura 2x7 18 x 8" 255 Michelin 4s | Golf R subframe | Superpro sway and bushings | 034 engine mounts | MK6 GTI brakes.

Users Country Flag
    I couldn't find a Provent for the Transporter...........do you just use a Universal Kit?
    2018 Crafter Runner
    T5.2 6sp manual.

Users Country Flag
    A good quality catch can on a modern diesel is a no brainer - manufacturers should be fitting them as standard (or at the very least an optional extra).

I had to make a custom catch can kit for my SQ5 as no one made a kit for it (they only cater for the popular ute's like Amarok/Hilux/Ranger etc). You might need to make your own kit also.

Edit - looks like HPD make a kit for the Transporter. VOLKSWAGEN TRANSPORTER Catch Can - OCC-B-VWT - HPD . Now ive seen tests on the HPD catch can, and its not as good as a Provent - but still better than nothing. If nothing else, you can see how simple the kit is so you can have some confidence to put your own kit together using a Provent catch can.

If you are going to put together your own kit, then I would suggest buying from (or visiting if you live close by) Western Filters in Blacktown. They are distributors for Provent and also sell all the rubber hoses, and nylon fittings etc. This is where I bought the parts to make my kit. Oil Catch Cans - Provent Accessories - Page 1 - Western Filters
    Last edited by Lucas_R; 11-03-2022 at 10:48 AM.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag
    Yep universal, on a diesel it's dead easy, only one circuit unlike petrol's two.

Buy a genuine Provent 200, they cost $180. All the cheap ones are China, and it's up to you if you want to risk the lower quality, they certainly have a lesser or even just mesh internal filter. Western Filters like Lucas suggests or Sydney Filters.

Buy the hoses from my transporter thread second post I think, ribbed and make curves and fitting easy. Provent is 1" 25mm and car is 3/4" or 17mm or so, these hoses taper to help the difference. Hook the can inlet from the tappet cover using the stock elbow fitting, the outlet goes in pre turbo, right after the airbox on the transporter. Run a drain hose with a tap fitting in the very end from the garden section at Bunnings, and drain it every 20tho kms or so. New element every 50 thou kms or so. Must be genuine. When it gets totally oil soaked and oil is in the upper area it's clogged.

Best thing you can do to any diesel. Here's a basic diagram for the older 1.9 PD TDI but the flow is all the same.....

hunting DPF-provent-diagram-jpg
    Last edited by Greg Roles; 11-03-2022 at 10:20 AM.
    2014 Skoda Yeti TDI Outdoor 4x4 | Audi Q3 CFGC repower | Darkside cams | Darkside dump pDPF | Wagner Comp IC | Water Meth | Bilstein B6 H&R springs | Rays Homura 2x7 18 x 8" 255 Michelin 4s | Golf R subframe | Superpro sway and bushings | 034 engine mounts | MK6 GTI brakes.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucas_R View Post
    A good quality catch can on a modern diesel is a no brainer - manufacturers should be fitting them as standard (or at the very least an optional extra).
    They do mate, the tappet cover has a very complex oil separation system, but it's hindered by both space and heat, the remote catch can being a bit cooler is a big factor.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Roles View Post
    They do mate, the tappet cover has a very complex oil separation system, but it's hindered by both space and heat, the remote catch can being a bit cooler is a big factor.
    Wasnt aware of that - good info, thanks.

After seeing how much crud was in my intake manifold after only 35,000km im very glad I cleaned it out and fitted my catch can. When I removed the intake parts again recently (at approx 70,000km) there was nowhere near as much crud in the intake (probably only 20% of what was there before) and it was much easier to clean this time.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag
    Here's the early MK6 Golf TDI rocker cover breakdown, I'd expect the system in your beastly SQ5 to be considerably better and much higher flowing.

hunting DPF-tappet-jpg

Still smoking So despite reconditioned turbos and a cleaned DPF, I still get smoke out the exhaust after a long drive when taking off at a set of lights. The mechanic has had the van back twice and can't find anything wrong, thinks maybe there is still oil in the back half of the exhaust. I'm still getting some (intermittent) impressive plumes of smoke 1000+ km later, could it just but residual oil still burning off? Any suggestions for me? Thanks

Users Country Flag

My old T4 (petrol) gets that puff of white smoke on take off or right hand corners because of leaky valve stem seals.
    I left it because of the difficulty of changing them.
    2018 Crafter Runner
    T5.2 6sp manual.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12