Support VWWC

Thread: How to remove the radio from a T4?

How to remove the radio from a T4?

I'm having difficulty in removing the old radio/cassette from my '96 T4.
    I've read that you need to release it by inserting removal tools into the two vertical slots (arrowed) but it's not working?

How to remove the radio from a T4?-vw-radio-arrowed-jpg

Does anyone know what the key should look like? This is the only type that came with the trim removal kit that I have. It inserts all the way in but doesn't appear to do anything!

How to remove the radio from a T4?-radio-key-jpg

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

From memory you need something around the same width without the taper , we had one for our 4 t4,S back then it needs to go in a fair bit and then you need to pull the unit out as even if the tabs are released it will be tight in the cradle .

Thanks Sunny43.5, I'll try to make up something like you've described and give it another go.

Google search. YOU can do this too!!
    how about this
    Beta radio removal | VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum

Apparently you can also buy the removal tools on ebay
    Steve
    04 T5 auto 2.5L TDI

Quote Originally Posted by Rebuild View Post
    Google search. YOU can do this too!!
    how about this
    Beta radio removal | VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum
    I tried googling and have looked at this thread but a hacksaw blade is too tall for the opening. I then tried using a jigsaw blade which fitted but still didn't release the latches.
    Apparently you can also buy the removal tools on ebay
    All the ones that I have seen on eBay are shaped like the one that I already have.
    I've also seen on google how people have fashioned a key from an old credit card so I might give that a go with a straight end as Sunny suggested.

If your desperate I'm only up at Cornubia near the Loganholme Hyperdome , I would be glad to help if your stuck. I have made plenty of tools for various jobs over the years , you should see the one I made to wind back the brake caliper piston amazing what you can do with a 21mm socket and an angle grinder .

Thanks for the offer Sunny. I'll see how I go starting fresh again tomorrow but it's certainly reassuring to have a back-up plan.
    This afternoon I managed to release the tab on the left hand side of the unit but the right hand side won't budge. In the morning I'm going to finish removing the cradle that holds the air vents situated directly above the radio to hopefully get a view at what might be causing the problem.

How to remove the radio from a T4?-vent-removal-jpg

(looks like it may be a good time to clean 26 years of dust build up as well)

Success at last!

How to remove the radio from a T4?-radio-out-jpg

Found that on the left hand side that both the radio, and cradle that it sits in, were both coming out together as one piece but I was able to get a flat blade screwdriver between the two along the top edge and slowly lever them apart which thankfully released the right hand side from the cradle.

Once out I could see that the key tool on the right hand side was sliding above the metal tab that needed depressing to release the unit from the cradle.

How to remove the radio from a T4?-radio-right-2-jpg

Now to find a suitable replacement unit!

Thats why I used a straight ended metal tool , glad to see you got it out . Just about any standard DIN unit will fit into the opening , unless you want to pay a ridiculous VW parts price . I just upgraded the unit in our T5.1 the latest Android 10 OS and real bonus AI voice control , it changes volume and functions by simple words spoken through the units microphone . This similar to the one I fitted to my sons T4 some years ago , it has the same functions as the one in our T5.1 7" Single 1 DIN Car Stereo Android 10.0 GPS Nav Radio WiFi 4G DVR DAB+ Head Unit | eBay Oh by the way they don't play CD,s as most people either stream music via their phone or you can save downloaded music to a USB stick which is what we do .
    Last edited by Sunny43.5; 02-08-2022 at 10:42 PM.