Thread: Help with RNS510

Users Country Flag

Help with RNS510

Hi All,

I was lucky enough to be given an RNS510, the only issue is I am told it has a corrupt HDD. Is there anyone out there who can fix this (new HDD and maps installed)and set it up for my 2013 T5 van so that it works with all my factory options(and plays movies while car moving)..

I live in Brisbane so someone local would be great but happy to post also.

Cheers Simon

Maybe someone could put the van with the new radio unit on a diagnostics to see what's up , I have my doubts any one will attempt to fix it as the parts may not be available separately . We live in a throw away world so replacing it with a new or comparable unit may be the only option . From many reports one issue with SOME VW head units is that the GPS software can be years out of date and some providers charge arms and legs for updates .

Users Country Flag
    Contact Kamold in the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Sim T5 View Post
    Hi All,

I was lucky enough to be given an RNS510, the only issue is I am told it has a corrupt HDD. Is there anyone out there who can fix this (new HDD and maps installed)and set it up for my 2013 T5 van so that it works with all my factory options(and plays movies while car moving)..

Cheers Simon

Users Country Flag
    Hi All,

Cheers Simon
    There is a thread in the technical section on how to disassemble one. Not hard to fit a new HDD its just a notebook drive and a small capacity one at that. Is quite a job though as drive is right inside and all has to be stripped out to get at it.

Maps are $55 for originals unless you can find copies elsewhere. Not allowed on here.

Its illegal to have Video going, visible to the driver when vehicle is moving. Not that it seems to stop some.
    Last edited by Hillbilly; 27-01-2015 at 05:46 PM.
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Thanks All, I'm happy to pull apart and replace the drive as im a technician.....my issue is that there is no point replacing drive if I cannot get the os and maps reinstalled...also the stereo is not installed as yet so easy to ship if needed for repair....Cheers Simon

Users Country Flag
    Thanks All, I'm happy to pull apart and replace the drive as im a technician.....my issue is that there is no point replacing drive if I cannot get the os and maps reinstalled...also the stereo is not installed as yet so easy to ship if needed for repair....Cheers Simon
    OS and Maps are easy to do. Once you have the drive replaced (and I'll also recommend Kamold's SDD upgrade) I'm sure somebody local can help you out with loaners of the necessary software.

I can help code with VCDS to enable it to work with the MFD,
    Current: 2023 MY23 T-Roc R Lapiz Blue + Beats Audio + Black pack 2018 MY19 Golf R manual Lapiz Blue + DAP (mods are underway ) 2018 MY18 Golf 110TSI Trendline manual White (with mods now 150TSI) 2014 Amarok TSI Red (tuned over 200kw + lots of extras) 2013 Up! manual Red 10 Previous VWs and some others ...

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    So I have had success replacing drive, loading firmware and maps. I just need it coded so it displays on the MFD and region is correct as it wont play DVD's. If you could still help out with that Sharkie I would be happy to pay with liquid refreshments or whatever you prefer, I live in Capalaba not sure if you are close but any help would be greatly appreciated.

Users Country Flag
    Some of the firmwares are Euro coded. The DVD code can be changed with a VCDS interface to 1-6. To make it region free(region 0), there is a cable and software available, but it needs to be done on the bench as it links in via the camera connector input. The pin can also be reset with this cable or interrogated if you lost the code. The DVD speed can be set to cut out at a certain speed from 0 to 255km/hr. There are some other little tricks that can be done on the bench as well. There are not many people with the cable as it is not cheap. It came with a plug to power it up as well. I bought a SMPS plug pack and wired it up to have a stable supply to work on them on the bench.
    08 MY09 R32, DBP, DSG, GIAC, R8V10 reps, KW V3, RNS510/VIM/BT/MDI, region free DVD, switched Haldex, s2t paddles,HPA dogbone rubber,Mk7 climatronics, FIS+, Adams/RDA discs & Hawk pads, Garage button, GruppeM. Front fogs, Milltek. CF Chin spoiler.Strut support. LEDs Alloy front suspension bits.....
    http://photobucket.com/gregsr32

Users Country Flag

So I have had success replacing drive, loading firmware and maps. I just need it coded so it displays on the MFD and region is correct as it wont play DVD's. If you could still help out with that Sharkie I would be happy to pay with liquid refreshments or whatever you prefer, I live in Capalaba not sure if you are close but any help would be greatly appreciated.
    PM sent
    Current: 2023 MY23 T-Roc R Lapiz Blue + Beats Audio + Black pack 2018 MY19 Golf R manual Lapiz Blue + DAP (mods are underway ) 2018 MY18 Golf 110TSI Trendline manual White (with mods now 150TSI) 2014 Amarok TSI Red (tuned over 200kw + lots of extras) 2013 Up! manual Red 10 Previous VWs and some others ...