Thread: Fitting roof racks to a 2002 T4 Caravelle…

Users Country Flag

Fitting roof racks to a 2002 T4 Caravelle…

Hi,

I’m getting incredibly frustrated trying to find info online on this subject. It’s almost like T4’s never existed. One page says you have to drill into the roof! Really???

I’ve bought a Caravelle from Sth Aust and it’s on its way on a truck. Not having seen it, I don’t know what the setup is for mounting roof racks - but I want to buy some ready to attach when it arrives. So my questions are:

1) I know that T5’s have 4 fixing points along the length of the roof that you can choose from to bolt down into. But what do late series T4 Caravelles have?

2) And is it an identical system to T4 Transporters?

3) And does anyone know who makes affordable sports type roof racks for them?
    (I only need two racks, not three or four)

Many thanks,
    Dubswin.

All our T4,s had the pre fitted mounting points for roof racks standard , they are in the roof recess on each side running longitudinally from front to rear.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunny43.5 View Post
    All our T4,s had the pre fitted mounting points for roof racks standard , they are in the roof recess on each side running longitudinally from front to rear.
    Excellent, that’s what I was hoping to hear. Thanks for that info Sunny. 🤙

There are options without requiring drilling. However most of them are no longer available. I think you still could get Thule ones but have to order it thru your local Thule dealer. I may have 1 set for sale (in WA) once i figure out how to modify my pioneer platform to fit.
    Got Turbo Inside

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Unfortunately the info provided above proved incorrect. T5’s and later all have at least the 4 mounting points in the channel.
    My T4, when it arrived, had nothing, just bare channels.
    And yes, drilling is required to instal tracks which you can then mount racks on.
    So I’ve managed to purchase probably the only VW model ever made which doesn’t readily accept roof racks. Dang!