Thread: Fitting a compressor into a T5.1

Cool Fitting a compressor into a T5.1

Quite some time ago I did a mod on my T5.1 camper and just realised others may be interested.

We do quite a bit of outback travel so I needed to have a compressor. I simply didn't want another item floating in the rear of my vehicle or in other cupboards that are always full of gear. I did a lot of puzzling about where to put it. I couldn't find a place underneath I was happy with.

Finally, after a lot of measuring of compressors and available space, I bought an ARB CKMA12 compressor and mounted it under the bonnet next to the main battery and put the switch in the battery compartment. (See 2 pics.) It required drilling two holes in the plate under the battery. This was fine until I decided on a larger battery which now occupied almost the whole battery compartment.

Fitting a compressor into a T5.1-orig-position-1-jpg Fitting a compressor into a T5.1-orig-position-2-incl-switch-jpg

Where to put the compressor now?

I was amazed to find that by rotating and juggling the position of the outlet connector, I could slide the ARB compressor into the windscreen wiper space with the outlet pointing to the passenger side, underneath the black vent panel. It was a tight fit and made it rather awkward to drill holes and fix the feet of the compressor to the sill below it. The CKMA12 is remarkably versatile when it comes to rearranging its configuration.

Fitting a compressor into a T5.1-position-2-again-jpg (See pic.)

To run the airline from the now compressor position, and needing the correct fittings, I purchased an ARB extension hose and cut it in two. The end fittings are removable and can be re-used. I drilled and grommeted a hole in the removable panel above the battery, then fed the cut end down through the hole. After fixing the panel in place I bolted a piece of shaped Aluminium angle on the panel to the passenger side of the battery compartment using pre-existing bolts/holes. I mounted and fixed some PVC conduit on the aluminium angle with a cable clamp then ran the cut end of the extension hose from the back, upward and forward through the conduit. I attached the end connector to the hose and it pressed nicely into the conduit. The connector is easily accessible just below the bonnet on the outside wall of the battery compartment. I fixed a secured rubber dust cap on the fitting. Cabling runs across the firewall and to the front of the battery compartment with a relay mounted there.

The compressor switch is in the front corner of the battery compartment (Pic). Wiring is done so the compressor relay only operates with the engine running.

So, whilst I still have the hose in a bag in the back of the van, the compressor is securely mounted well out of the way and using otherwise dead and surprisingly clean space (See further pic).

Fitting a compressor into a T5.1-compressor-hiding-jpg

I put this up in case others are looking for a place to mount a compressor. All depends on having a suitably sized compressor though. I suspect the ARB CKMA12 was the only decent one that would fit. At the time it had good reviews, so I was encouraged to use it - fortunately.

Photos are a little difficult but may give some idea of how things look.

I hope this is useful to someone somewhere.
    Last edited by transparu; 13-05-2020 at 09:54 AM.

2012 132kw T5.1 TDI DSG 4Motion LWB Transporter, locking rear diff. Macron Campervan conversion. ECB bullbar. Milford towbar and rear light protector. Seikel Desert HD 30mm lift kit.

nice bit of work there
    Steve
    04 T5 auto 2.5L TDI