Thread: Exhaust Fumes in Cabin - Suspected Leak at Turbo - T5 AXB 2004

Exhaust Fumes in Cabin - Suspected Leak at Turbo - T5 AXB 2004

Hello all,

Long time follower, first post.

I purchased a 2004 Volkswagen Transporter T5 3 weeks ago,and noticed in the first week that I was getting headaches and feeling unusually dopey/drowsy after driving it.

Engine and Turbo Info:
    -Turbo number: bv39A-0020 / 038253014h
    -Engine: AXB 1.9 TDi – Transporter T5 2004

I believe I have a leaking turbo where the VNT actuator shaft enters the exhaust side of the turbo housing – the below details the evidence I have gathered of that being the issue. Did the soapy water test initially on the exhaust manifold,as I read on this forum that that part is often the culprit. All good on that end.Then I delved further into the belly of the beast, luckily I have long skinny arms, and was able to spray the soapy water on everything related to the exhaust.

Photos below.

Vacuum actuator hooked in to VNT actuator lever, photo taken from top side, bubbles seen on startup.

Zoomed in photo of actuator arm as it connects to VNT actuator shaft, from top side.

Taken from underneath, VNT actuator lever, telltaletraces of soot indicating leak.

Zoomed out photo from underneath, for perspective,of actuator shaft. Noted this area of the turbo is quite rusty compared to theother parts.

Youtube link to video of soapy water test.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Unt6PSqcdpQ&feature=share

Volkswagen, being Volkswagen, do not provide an assemblydrawing, and they will only sell the turbo and exhaust manifold as a singlepart. If you don’t use VW dealer who want 4k for supply only on this assembly, then you must work it out yourself. Thus, due to the wearing of what I assume to be a single brass bushing, I am getting exhaust fumes in the cabin, which may end in a 1.4k part cost from an OEM. Assume total will be around 2k including install, if I don’t do it myself. I am very keen not to incur this cost, as I just bought the thing for 10k. The way I see it, based on solutions I’ve seen for other vehicles, there are three options:

-Remove the turbo and exhaust manifold, reverseengineer the bushing I assume will be in there - $50 and a lot of time. Of courseobtaining a part number or assembly drawing would make this a little easier.

-Purchase a new or reco turbo and exhaustmanifold, replace. $1400 and slightly less time than the above

-Weld the actuator arm in some sort of intermediate position and see what happens. I have read and seen on youtube that people have opted for this. Doesn’t seem particularly wise. I am unclear on the implicationsof this on the vehicle’s operation (assume there will be some implications for the vehicle’s life in this option too).

- Also, service the bushing somehow? If it wasn’t a rotating component it would be a job for exhaust cement. I know if you ruin a thread you can repair it. I wonder if there is an equivalent for a shaft and bushing. Scraping the bottom of the barrel here.

Long time observer of this community, and appreciate the excellent advice that I have received as an observer over the years. I would very much appreciate any comments or pointers anyone could give.

Regards,
    Chris

P.s. apologies if there are any words or off-fonts. Took a while to write and when I finally posted it the formatting went wild.

Last edited by Wilkywilk; 21-04-2019 at 04:22 PM.

There is no black soot around the bush area indicating its probably not leaking there, I have only heard of exhaust leaks where the manifold goes onto the head, either because of warping of the manifold or cracked manifold. Is there any play in the actuator shaft where it passes through the bush, if its loose you should be able to move it with your hand.

Edit:
    Ah, I just found your link to the youtube video, yes there is a bit of a leak there, I wonder what is normal for any engine given the same test.
    Last edited by BrianJ; 22-04-2019 at 07:33 AM.

Hi there, it will most likely be the clamp in your photo on the turbo to exhaust collar that needs tightening with an allen key. All should be sorted once this is done. Good luck. Scott.

Hi Chris, I was wondering if you had any success with the suggestion? Potentially a five minute and zero cost job if you can maneuver your hand down to the clamp with an allen key. This clamp does loosen over time and should be checked from time to time. Has occurred on my 2008 t5 Multi.
    I doubt it is a turbo leak, but check the simple things first..

Regards,

Scott.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Caravelle View Post
    Hi Chris, I was wondering if you had any success with the suggestion? Potentially a five minute and zero cost job if you can maneuver your hand down to the clamp with an allen key. This clamp does loosen over time and should be checked from time to time. Has occurred on my 2008 t5 Multi.
    I doubt it is a turbo leak, but check the simple things first..

Regards,

Scott.
    Hi Scott,

Thanks for the suggestion. I gave that a crack, to no avail unfortunately.

Would have thought the air would be escaping at the clamp if it was due to the clamp being loose. I wish it were so easy

Cheers,

Chris

Hi Chris,

Sorry to hear it is not related to the clamp. Another simple suggestion is checking the exhaust clamps for the front muffler .

I sincerely hope it is not the turbo!

Regards,

Scott

Same problem. Wondering on solution

Hi Chris,

Your youtube video helped me find you here. I have the same van/engine with the same problem on a turbo fitted 18 months and 3000km ago. It seems pretty rare. I was wondering if you managed to fix it?