Thread: Robustness kit

Users Country Flag

Robustness kit

I just had my 105K service yesterday this included timing belt, sounded like a bird singing, I then find out I also needed a Vw robustness kit installed, this kit includes belt cover, upgraded tensioner and some new pulleys for alternator ect ect. The kit cost me $480. My sevice included brake fluid flush pollen filter and new timing belt and water pump. This came to $2450 in total with the kit. I now also have to replace a new radiator hose that is leaking, that is on back order for $270.

Some googling later I find Ameroks having timing belts turn to spaghetti, or the bearings going on the tensioner, causing the bird noise. Vw now include a belt cover that was non existent before, they know about these issues, so you could say I am not happy about having to pay for my kit even though my Vw is out of warranty, but had no choice. I am appalled Vw are cutting corners like this to save money, all the Egr issues I've had and cv boot going, now a radiator hose leaking. This should not happen to a vehicle that is less than 5 years old. I love driving the Vw but it seems to me to be turning into a money pit.

Sent from my HTC_0PJA10 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by REVHE4D; 08-07-2015 at 07:18 PM.
    2011 T5 4MOTION Duel Cab Optioned up.

I saw this problem with the timing belt being dragged into the internals if it fails it can cause a catastrophic engine failure , I cannot for the love of me find that particular article but I did read it for sure . If VW fitted the new cover for no other reason than they were told to by a service bulletin then it should not have cost you a single cent they know about the problem so I would as Tony Abbott said 'shirt front the b$#@^%ds "out of warranty or not they should have told you first . You could try VW's Facebook page they have a contact email address for complaints , but be warned they take a while to reply . Took me 2 years to get a satisfactory outcome to our problem with our T5 but persistence paid off .1800 607 822 FREE VW's contact number .

Read this post

Starting issue

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by REVHE4D View Post
    Some googling later I find Ameroks having timing belts turn to spaghetti, or the bearings going on the tensioner, causing the bird noise. Vw now include a belt cover that was non existent before, they know about these issues, so you could say I am not happy about having to pay for my kit even though my Vw is out of warranty, but had no choice. I am appalled Vw are cutting corners like this to save money, all the Egr issues I've had and cv boot going, now a radiator hose leaking. This should not happen to a vehicle that is less than 5 years old. I love driving the Vw but it seems to me to be turning into a money pit.

Sent from my HTC_0PJA10 using Tapatalk
    I agree with you, that many components in todays vehicles do fail much sooner than we'd like.

Now, back to your Robustness kit question.
    Did they ask you, if you want to have the timing belt done? If yes, then they just used updated component and not much you can do about it, be glad that they did.

Though, if you'd refuse to have the timing belt done and the t.belt would've failed later, you'd have nobody else to blame but yourself. Since, it's normal scheduled maintenance for Australia, "Timing belt renewal - every 7years or 105,000km whichever come first."

Good on Scouser I knew someone would find the article , in the post Volksmuller had the answer I believe , and like I said a complaint to VW would be a starting point .

Users Country Flag
    Anyone know what the part number of this robustness kit is?
    Or a photo of what it looks like?
    How do I know if I have one or not?
    My belt cover looks fairly flimsy to me................
    2018 Crafter Runner
    T5.2 6sp manual.

I had mine fitted after a mates van spat the serpentine belt into the timing belt and did some serious damage to the top end . I knew about the Robustness kit and at the time did not bother to get ours done , when the mates one went I booked ours in straight away to ensure we did not suffer the same problem . Now ours was only about 8 or 9 thousand kms short of when the serpentine and timing belt were due , when it was then done the workshop told me that ours would have failed in the next 1 or 2 thousand Kms as it was showing serious signs of failure . We dodged a bullet with that one and like I said they fitted the robustness divider at the same time , from memory the divider was only around $130 like this one in this link . Updated Timing belt cover for Amarok 4cyl
    Last edited by Sunny43.5; 03-03-2024 at 10:51 PM.

Users Country Flag

Yeah...........mine looks similar..............flimsy!
    2018 Crafter Runner
    T5.2 6sp manual.