Thread: Difference between T32 and T26 T28 T30 suspension only

Difference between T32 and T26 T28 T30 suspension only

After now nearly 10 plus years of hard work its time to replace the Bilstein Coil Overs in our van . Now as we wont be keeping this one for too many more years I can,t justify spending another $2 k plus for the Bilsteins again . I did ask Bilstein here in Aus about having the front struts repaired / reconditioned but it seems they don,t do the B14 series because of the twin tube design , so I ask about just replacing the struts themselves with new ones . Nope sorry we wont break up a full kit just for two struts which to me seems a poor way to operate business , surely if they make the kits up originally from multiple components then the part which is more likely to fail should be available on its own . So back to the question our van is 2.0 Turbo Diesel 11month- 2011 model CAAC 7EA , so looking at compatibility lists I see the T26/28/30 is different to the T32 where would I find that category . I am pretty sure its a T32 but I don,t want to make the wrong choice with a new set . Now I am looking at UNIT3 Tuning from Germany VOLKSWAGEN TRANSPORTER T5 / T6 ADJUSTABLE COILOVER SUSPENSION KIT - COILOVERS | eBay and also The Heritage ones as theirs are freight free . Thanks in advance
    Last edited by Sunny43.5; 27-03-2022 at 09:37 PM.

T32 and t30 differ in the strut and mountings. From memory, the T30 is a strut body into the hub and the t32 is a clamp style around the hub upright. Found this out the hard way, so just ended up using the T6 4mo springs.

Heritage is a T32.
    You can see the differences.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info , in fact I just bought a whole load of suspension and upper strut bearings and bits from Heritage .I looked at their T32 Coil overs and they send them freight free so I might go that way as well .
    Last edited by Sunny43.5; 27-03-2022 at 09:39 PM.

Users Country Flag
    Sunny I think you'll find that the T number refer to the GVM of each type of van, more specific to the UK as I think they charge them more for heavier vehicles.

Here in Aus I know the T32 was special order as a GVM upgrade as Bryn did it for his camper, and they run the strut with a bottom clevis and it clamps onto the front hub.

Most other Aus delivered run as a T30 where the bottom of the strut is clean and it's inserted into the hub and it clamps on it, as per the photos above.
    T28 & T26 run the same as T30 AFAIK.

So the easiest way to tell other than looking at your type of front hub would be to check your data plate inside the drivers door frame.

FYI all VW ambulances were also T32 here in Aus to deal with the extra weight they would carry as standard.

Users Country Flag
    Yeah...........I've noticed that there seems to be a lot of good stuff in Germany lately.
    Years ago it was mainly available from the UK!
    2018 Crafter Runner
    T5.2 6sp manual.

Ok today fitted the new coil overs from Germany , front springs and struts a bastard . But while I had the suspension off I also fitted new nylon bushes into the sway / torsion bar plus all new strut bearings and drop links for good measure, now who in VW thought that it was a good idea to put the whole suspension system together with nuts and bolts but blow me down they just love to throw a curve ball into the mix by fitting the clamp for the sway bar bush with spline bolts GRR . Luckily I actually had the correct size in my tool box , its amazing what you can do with a trolley jack and a good old fashioned bottle jack a lump of wood and a few sockets .
    The rears were easy as you only need to undo 3 bolts for the whole job {not including wheel nuts } After it was done so was I , at 70 years old next week it took its toll on my knees and back , but the work was worth it . All up with crude tools it took around 5 hours for the whole job , the ride is fantastic it is just like a new van . It feels tight and the ride is smooth with very little body roll , it looks good about 50mm below stock level . I will give it a few weeks to settle then adjust if needed.

Users Country Flag

EDIT - Sorry - somehow managed to post this in the wrong thread
    Last edited by aSimpleLife; 22-04-2023 at 09:35 AM. Reason: Wrong thread
    __________________________________________________ __________________________
    VW Transporter T5 MY10 Van M 6spd 2.0DT 103kw White. Long wheel base. Standard roof?