Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Diesel Mechanics - Melbourne

Users Country Flag

Diesel Mechanics - Melbourne

Can anyone recommend a diesel mechanic in Melbourne?

I have had confirmation (through oil testing undertaken by me) that I'm getting oil dilution due to diesel getting into my engine oil.

I am looking for a diesel mechanic that is either very, very good from your experience with them or one that knows late model VW diesels well enough to not give me the run around with excuses and charge like a wounded bull.

Thanks in advance.

Markee

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Markee View Post
    Can anyone recommend a diesel mechanic in Melbourne?

I have had confirmation (through oil testing undertaken by me) that I'm getting oil dilution due to diesel getting into my engine oil.

I am looking for a diesel mechanic that is either very, very good from your experience with them or one that knows late model VW diesels well enough to not give me the run around with excuses and charge like a wounded bull.

Thanks in advance.

Markee
    Oil dilution (oil thinning) can result from incomplete regens and short trips where engine has not reached operating temp but yet initiates a regen process by injecting additional fuel to raise dpf temperature to complete soot burn off. If you interupt that process by turning off the engine, unburnt fuel can remain in combustion chamber. Next time you start it, oil will drag it down and over time will lead to oil thinning (dilution) and worst case can have catastrophic consequences. Does not have to be a mechanical problem. Check again before you throw money at mechanic for something that might come back.

2015 Tiguan 130TDI R-Line, Pepper Grey, Panoramic Sunroof
    Last edited by dinot81; 03-05-2018 at 01:14 PM.
    MY15 TIGUAN 130TDI R-LINE - Pepper Grey, Panoramic Sunroof

More dumb technology again , if the scenario you have posted is correct unless there is a warning on the dash or in the owners handbook I wonder what sort of goodwill you would have with VW for a gamaged engine . Bring back petrol engine please !

Users Country Flag
    Dpf's have been around since the early 2000s but latest 2008 all diesel cars had them. Only solution for manufacturers to meet emission requirements but a massive headache for owners.

Should the engine be damaged due to oil dilution, they can blame the owners. They would say that you did not read the manual (tiny paragraph in a corner of a page) and that car was not driven as required like motorway drives to burn off soot the proper way. Consequences and potential issues with engine only discovered once the problem arises. No goodwill at all, could even void warranty.

In the case of OP, should the dilution be as result of unsuccessful or interrupted regens, best is to change oil more frequenty if the car is not driven often long enough or on motorways to complete a regen.

You only get a dpf light on the dash once the filter is clogged. First time it lights up, this is a warning that the car needs to be driven for longer periods of time to perform a regen. Ideally motorway driving and you can drop a gear so end up with higher rpm and higher exhaust temperature which will help the dpf to complete a regen. No need to redline it. If a 7 speed box, drive in 6th gear, if 6 speed, then drive in 5th gear at 100 or 110kph.

Dpf's require a minimum temperature of 600°C to successfully initiate and complete a burn off without the need of injecting additional fuel.

Above is what I have researched since buying a diesel and VW's need generally minimum of 1700rpm for longer drives to reach regen temperature.

Hope it helps.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Thanks for the info Dino.
    I’m unsure whether I’m getting part regens but it could be the case as I do use 6th gear most always on the freeway.
    I have started doing 5th gear runs now, say once every other day and will retest the oil in 5000kms again to see if this helps/solves the problem.

Also most definitely looking at an EGR delete and retune. Would this also benefit this issue, do you think?

Now I broached my VW mechanic about EGR delete and he had some interesting scenarios about pro's and con's . His main concern was that VW would have built the engines with a particular temperature range for the metals , now his words to me were that deleting the EGR may have an effect that could long term lead to piston failure as the gases are integral to the engines operating temps . Naturally the up side is less crap to worry about going wrong and somewhat slightly better performance and economy .

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by dinot81 View Post
    Dpf's have been around since the early 2000s but latest 2008 all diesel cars had them. Only solution for manufacturers to meet emission requirements but a massive headache for owners.

Should the engine be damaged due to oil dilution, they can blame the owners. They would say that you did not read the manual (tiny paragraph in a corner of a page) and that car was not driven as required like motorway drives to burn off soot the proper way. Consequences and potential issues with engine only discovered once the problem arises. No goodwill at all, could even void warranty.

In the case of OP, should the dilution be as result of unsuccessful or interrupted regens, best is to change oil more frequenty if the car is not driven often long enough or on motorways to complete a regen.

You only get a dpf light on the dash once the filter is clogged. First time it lights up, this is a warning that the car needs to be driven for longer periods of time to perform a regen. Ideally motorway driving and you can drop a gear so end up with higher rpm and higher exhaust temperature which will help the dpf to complete a regen. No need to redline it. If a 7 speed box, drive in 6th gear, if 6 speed, then drive in 5th gear at 100 or 110kph.

Dpf's require a minimum temperature of 600°C to successfully initiate and complete a burn off without the need of injecting additional fuel.

Above is what I have researched since buying a diesel and VW's need generally minimum of 1700rpm for longer drives to reach regen temperature.

Hope it helps.

I agree with you that the DPF is a pain for some. But, there are safeguards built in into your car, one of them is your check engine light. The ECU when connected to diagnostics can also give time for how long did you drive the car with check engine light on and that’s where many car owners fail, they simply ignored it for too long and then want to blame the manufacturers.
    Last edited by Transporter; 07-05-2018 at 07:35 AM.

Users Country Flag
    I totally agree with you but I believe that manufacturers are also negligent by not telling customers more about it. Maybe only 1 in 10 people will sit down and read the car manual from top to bottom. A good percentage of diesel owners never heard what an dpf is let alone that it is built into their cars, how it functions or how to maintain it properly. My Tig came with a 40 page book about the radio and its features but only a smudge on the dpf on page 2xx. Sales people should also provide that info to prospect owners to give them a choice whether they want a diesel or petrol may be more suitable for them. There should be warning card placed along the manuals to tell people that their car is fitted with dpf and what needs to be done to maintain it to avoid problems.
    Quote Originally Posted by Transporter View Post
    I agree with you that the DPF is a pain for some. But, there are safeguards built in into your car, one of them is your check engine light. The ECU when connected to diagnostics can also give time for how long did you drive the car with check engine light on and that’s where many car owners fail, they simply ignored it for too long and then want to blame the manufacturers.

Users Country Flag
    What kind of trips do you do on daily basis? Was your car part if the dieselgate recall?

With EGR delete, I can't comment as I oppose any sort of modifications especially around engine. The only thing that is changed on my car: oils, fluids and filters.

But have heard that there are side effects as Sunny43.5 mentioned in above post. Maybe someone who has done it could comment how it worked out for them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Markee View Post
    Thanks for the info Dino.
    I’m unsure whether I’m getting part regens but it could be the case as I do use 6th gear most always on the freeway.
    I have started doing 5th gear runs now, say once every other day and will retest the oil in 5000kms again to see if this helps/solves the problem.

Also most definitely looking at an EGR delete and retune. Would this also benefit this issue, do you think?

The delete thing is quite big in Europe UK but the temperatures are somewhat lower than ours , so our temperatures could be a factor to consider . I love the bit DinoT says abot 40 pages for radio and not much else for more important things you have to laugh .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast