Thread: Dashboard...blank.

Dashboard...blank.

Hi..(again)
    Ive just had my engine removed by mechanics.
    They put it back together. Thats enough about that.
    My dash board the other rainy day mornin was blank of digital and needle operatives. It strangely had the seat belt warning light on and dash illuminated. Using it the indicators click and high beam blues up. But no oil and batt when starting, nothing moves at all. A strange electric smell hangs in the air mildly for a day or so.
    Pulled the fuse ,ok , replacing it sets the same scene again.
    Engine bay wires are intact and speedo cable still connected.
    Disconnected batt for mins, replaced, same again....and oh,
    Another strange thing, i dont need to clear codes via vcds (vag com) to start the van!! AMAZING DISCOVERY!! Twice no codes from immobilizer or engine.

So how do I get into speedo area to fix this.? Presuming its elec connection is relatively to blame.

Maybe the rain pouring over the battery compartment via that hole above it, which is plugged , the gap...rained on the ecu.
    Anyway Im seeing a tester mon for the dash operation. Unless..........?

Does the dash work normally at all?
    did this happen just after the "mechanics" refitted your engine?
    Maybe they didn't reconnect some electrical wiring?
    Steve
    04 T5 auto 2.5L TDI

The dash was working after, properly for 1500km, I was in heavy rain during a night and wasnt working in the morning. It ran over the battery ONLY that I can see maybe the covered ecu, no holes there. Cables all have the black plastic protective covering still and seem in order. The reason ive mentioned the mechanics was other things need attention, giving reason.
    Battery is 13v 28a, it was running a converter during the day for a fridge...overvoltage?
    If the dash does have issues, once it goes it is really gone right! I must get a new one. It seems so because the fuse replaced brings the same Only operating bits each time. Without real reason of exposed wires it can only be trial by error...it could be worse with the code thing. How can that be..Ill just try again..yep no cut out, no fault codes..waaaaaa can someone use ecu equip to find why?
    An update there is no illumination at all only indicator and hi beam

Results,
    There was a virtual fire behind th rpm dial, so much black & crispy just under the large 'capacitor ,top area of rev counter blacking around the area. The smell is strong and WHEN this occured ......I would notice it!!
    Also took it to vw guys, said it was exactly dash from computer tests...( didnt charge me!!!!) Thanks to them.'
    Getting another one, I think I need a mech to install legally??

CAN ANYONE SEE A WAY TO GET TYE SPEEDO AND FUEL GAUGES WORKING BYPASSING THAT AREA....PLLEEASSE