Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coolant Level and Light

Coolant Level and Light

Looking for some help, driving yesterday and after about 30 mins the coolant light comes on and I notice the temp dial goes from 90 to 120 and back again in about 20 secs. Does this a couple times so I pull over, expansion tank level looks low and water has obviously sprayed somewhere up high as pipes around tank are wet. Did it again today although the tank level does not look as low? No water in oil or oil in water. Could it be a defective cap releasing pressure causing the temp swings? If the cap releases where does if release from? Could it be the tank? I know there is a lot of info on the possibility of water pump and EGR cooler but I am confused as to why the tank would release into the engine bay?

It is a 2010 T5.1 Multivan 2.0TDI 132kW

Hi there,

First step is to closely check for hose leaks ( including signs of coolant stain origin) to the expansion tank and to ensure tank cap is fully tightened ( with a slight resistance to the final turn). Also I have heard that tanks can very occasionally crack and leak. My brother's Audi A4 did twice! If no leaks and in relation to temp increasing and then dropping back to normal, it could be a sticking thermostat. Beyond that I suggest detailed investigation by a mechanic.

Regards,

Scott

Users Country Flag
    Best to go to a VW mechanic. Get a pressure test done. And they can also check for exhaust gases in coolant.
    You do not want to muck around with overheating issues. If it is not the head gasket now, it soon will be.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bit of an update. Put a pressure test on the coolant system today and it appeared to be holding, may have been some slight drop off but there was no discernible leak anywhere. Ran the engine with the water pump return line disconnected from the expansion tank and there was a very weak flow coming out of it which suggests the pump is not circulating water.

Hi there,

Do you think the water pump has a noisy bearing or is potentially weeping? In relation to the weak flow to the expansion tank, could it still be a sticky thermostat that may not be fully opening properly or early enough to operating temperature?

Cheers,

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Caravelle View Post
    Hi there,

Do you think the water pump has a noisy bearing or is potentially weeping? In relation to the weak flow to the expansion tank, could it still be a sticky thermostat that may not be fully opening properly or early enough to operating temperature?

Cheers,

Scott
    Sticky thermostat is a possibility but as I don’t know if the van has ever had a water pump and i was going to do timing belt in next 6000km I am going there first. Even if the thermostat was sticky when I first start the engine I would expect a decent healthy return flow to the tank

I would expect the opposite in terms of little flow to the header tank when the engine is cold. That is the purpose of the thermostat. The thermostat will restrict flow to circulating coolant around the engine block only for quick warm up until the coolant warms up to then open the thermostat to allow coolant to then circulate through the cooling system. That is why I wondered about a sticky thermostat if the engine temp went intially high then settled back to normal. Now if there is little flow to the header take when engine is warm, it could be a number of things such as air locks, dodgy thermostat and possibly the water pump.
    Anyway all the best with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Caravelle View Post
    I would expect the opposite in terms of little flow to the header tank when the engine is cold. That is the purpose of the thermostat. The thermostat will restrict flow to circulating coolant around the engine block only for quick warm up until the coolant warms up to then open the thermostat to allow coolant to then circulate through the cooling system. That is why I wondered about a sticky thermostat if the engine temp went intially high then settled back to normal. Now if there is little flow to the header take when engine is warm, it could be a number of things such as air locks, dodgy thermostat and possibly the water pump.
    Anyway all the best with it.
    Got someone to rev the van while I had the return disconnected and it definitely increased, suggest pump is spinning. Starting to wonder again about the sticky stat theory. Still need a gas test on the coolant to discount head gasket

Where is the thermostat on the 2.0 tdi 132kW?

Found it! Not sure what needs to come of to get it out though, looks buried in there

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast