Thread: Clutch Question T5.1

Clutch Question T5.1

Hi all,

Just had a few questions regarding the clutches on t5.1 Transporters. Have a 2010 model sitting at 110ks.
    Clutch is feeling fine, and mechanics generally unsure on the averaged KM range at which a replacement is required.

First question, at how many KM's in has everyone had to replace a clutch? My last 06 Model had it replaced around 160-70k, obviously depends on how people drive, but thought would be worth a question.

Secondly, yesterday had an odd thing happen in which the clutch was getting stuck about halfway in the compression after engaging into a gear, no strange noises or anything to be heard, but had to pull it back with my foot on the odd occasion to return to its original position. Was sure it was on the way out, however today after driving it all morning, everything returned to normal and was driving fine, with clutch engagement as it was. Any ideas as to why that might be?

Thirdly, what's everyone had to pay for a clutch replacement in the past?

Thanks all!

From memory I did mine on a 2005 T5 manual petrol at around 200K , it probably didn,t need to be done as the throw out bearing had failed so I did the clutch and throw out bearing together , A mate and I did it ourselves one Sunday .

Users Country Flag
    Hi there,

I've got a 2010 t5.1 LWB. My clutch started slipping in second when cold at around 280,000kms at which point i replaced it. From memory it set me back about $2400 for the clutch and dual mass flywheel replacement. Was a little while ago but that figure feels about right.
    Seems very strange to have yours getting stuck....could it be worth bleeding & replacing your clutch fluid as a starting point?

Regards,
    Ant.

Hey ant thanks for that info.
    It went back to normal as soon as i had posted this - it was an odd experience though and haven’t had anything change since . I’ll be sure to mention it to the mech on the next service and see his thoughts on bleeding etc

Users Country Flag
    Hi,
    My 2011 T5.1 LWB 4motion had the DMF go at about 210k in February. Replaced the clutch at the same time. Cost just under $3500 parts and labour.

Users Country Flag

Have a 2014, replaced at 76,000 in 2018. Have slipped the clutch a lot reversing with a trailer up slopes, the smell is not good. We were on our way back from Cape York so a reasonable amount of slipping there too, to go slow enough. I really miss the low first and reverse of my old T3 syncro, no need for slipping... Cost was $4,000 with a DMF.