Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Campervan/Motorhome Insurance

Campervan/Motorhome Insurance

My renewal has just arrived, agreed value has reduced [naturally] but without any claims for probably 10 years or more, the premium has jumped by 20%. This is with Apia who I think may not expect their customers to get another quote.
    There was a thread here some time ago of another insurance co. for camper vans that was cheaper & OK.
    Can anyone recommend, from their experience a good insurance co that insures campervans.? [not all insurance co's do]
    Understand how it works, troubleshoot logically BEFORE replacing parts.
    2001 T4 TRAKKA Syncro 2.5TDI,2006 Mk5 2.0TDI Golf manual,2001 Polo 1.4 16V manual [now sold], '09 2.0CR TDI Tiguan manual,
    Numerous Mk1 Golf diesels

Users Country Flag
    Yes, you pay a lazy tax. It’s expected that people change the insurer from time to time. You may try to call them and ask to explain but at the same time say that you go with other insurer.

lazy tax - Google Search
    Last edited by Transporter; 10-04-2019 at 01:14 PM.

Users Country Flag
    I've had this happen to me with all sort of insurances too. I've asked why a "new" customer deserves better rates than a longer term one... They are usually very apologetic and willing to (re)apply any discounts, often even beating them to keep your business if you're unhappy enough and let them know.

I recall when I left NRMA taking cars, house, contents and others all at once following large hikes they just didn't seem to want to listen to reason. The consistent message was "you will lose your loyalty discount", the fact my new price was still less than their offer seemed to be lost on them...

Anyway, I'm a happy Shannons customer now, although I will say I did have to play this game even with them last time around. That said, I always have a quick look around anyway and usually ring them and ask them if there is a better deal around anyway as you can usually get something extra. Same story for health insurance and anything else with a variable premium.

If it has an engine or heartbeat it's going to cost you. | Refer a Friend - AussieBroadband $50 Credit

I have just received a quote for a $2500 higher agreed value, $1000 towing for mechanical breakdown, 1 free windscreen, all weather events including hail damage, same $500 excess, choice of repairer, no mention of annual mileage, only the 1 car policy rather than several policy's better than Apia for $130 less. The company is CIL Insurance, part of Suncorp. Anyone used them?
    Last edited by jets; 10-04-2019 at 02:49 PM.
    2001 T4 TRAKKA Syncro 2.5TDI,2006 Mk5 2.0TDI Golf manual,2001 Polo 1.4 16V manual [now sold], '09 2.0CR TDI Tiguan manual,

Users Country Flag
    I’ve used Suncorp when I had MB Sprinter, they’re the best insurance I’ve ever had. Now, I use Elders, not the cheapest, but no other insurance company that I know of wanted to insure Iveco Daily 50C17, now I’m paying more than double what I’ve paid for insuring the 4x4 Sprinter which even cost $20k more than Iveco.

Thanks guys for your interest & help. I phoned Apia & spoke to a nice lady who was very helpful. There was no way she could even come close to the offer I had received. She asked me who the quote was from & then told me that Suncorp owns Apia & AAMI. She also said that there is no rating 1 for motorhomes. Not sure if that only applied for Apia. She recommended that in my case it would be best to swap to Suncorp, so that's where I am going.

Users Country Flag
    If i'm not to late on this but we use Ken Tame insurance they have been pretty good, but you do need to sign up with CMCA group to get the insurance, Our last 2018 quote was just over $1000 for a $70000 camper.
    2014 T5 132Kw Twin Turbo, 2016 "D" Suffix EGR Cooler, 4 Motion, 7Spd DSG + Diff Lock, Frontline Camper.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Craigs902 View Post
    If i'm not to late on this but we use Ken Tame insurance they have been pretty good, but you do need to sign up with CMCA group to get the insurance, Our last 2018 quote was just over $1000 for a $70000 camper.
    Just so you know the truth Ken Tame sold out to Allianz about two years ago and so is just a name now and insurance is and usually was with Allianz anyway
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Just an update on my Campervan insurance. When I went to pay my premium with Suncorp they had no record of a quote for me. It turned out that the person who had given me a quote was from CIL Caravan & RV Insurance that is a part of Suncorp.
    The premium I paid was $523.32 for an agreed value of $27,000 on my T4 Trakka. I consider that good value.

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jets View Post
    Just an update on my Campervan insurance. When I went to pay my premium with Suncorp they had no record of a quote for me. It turned out that the person who had given me a quote was from CIL Caravan & RV Insurance that is a part of Suncorp.
    The premium I paid was $523.32 for an agreed value of $27,000 on my T4 Trakka. I consider that good value.
    Did you not get the quote emailed to you and thereby could have paid it off that. Suncorp own more than half the ins companies in OZ
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast