Support VWWC

Thread: Cam followers - replacement

Users Country Flag

Cam followers - replacement

Hi all, has anyone changed their cam followers? I've a 2005 AXE engine that is showing the classic signs according to posts I've read so far. Any further tips from those of you that have done the job would be really welcome

So far I've found the following;

www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7ypNvgcl-0

www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTGuk_38nW4

www.vwt4forum.co.uk/threads/here-are-some-t5-2-5-camshaft-change-instructions.1255409/

www.ebay.com.au/itm/Engine-Camshaft-Timing-Tool-Kit-for-VW-2-5-4-9-TDi-PD-BAC-AXE-AXD-BPC-AYH-BWF/113734854160?hash=item1a7b202610:ghkAAOSwCg9ejT-U

Also, anyone want to sell / hire / lend me the toolkit before I buy a new one? (I'm in Mornington, Vic)

I'll post an update after I've done it, if I've anything further to add. I'm gonna try this trick first (below quote) and see if it saves me having to pull the front off the van;

"I tackled this job today and thought I'd share how I removed the inlet manifold. I was standing over the engine annoyed at the prospect of either removing all the front of the van or going down the engine mount route, I decided to find an alternative.

I released the lock carrier at either end and held 'open' with a wooden wedge, then undid the 4 fixings holding the rad fan on and with a bit of a fight the fan was out of the van and I had access to all the required manifold bolts.

This felt considerably easier then any other methods I have read about so thought I'd share.

Have fun J"

Not sure if it'll work, but I'll report back how I got on after.

Cheers

Users Country Flag
    Hey cgielectrical how did you go? I too have a 2005 AXE engine that's been diagnosed with the same problem (along with $5.5k estimate to fix). I'm looking at doing it myself (with competent helper and retired diesel fitter nearby) and it looks like I can get all the parts from the UK for around a grand, here's a few option:

https://www.darksidedevelopments.co.uk/products/complete-camshaft-kit-for-vw-2-5-pd-tdi-engines.html
    https://shop.zedperformance.co.uk/transporter-t5-touareg-2.5tdi-pd-camshaft-kit
    VW Volkswagen Transporter & Touareg 2.5 TDi PD Camshaft Kit | AXE, AXD, BAC, BLJ, BLK

plus Ebay has a lot of European sellers too

Do you have the timing toolkit (and is it for sale)
    Does anyone have experience with ordering parts from the UK/Europe?

Cheers, John

Hi John, good luck with your repair project
    you do need to add @ prefix to the name a member uses to alert them to your reply like @Tasjohn @cgi.....etc

Users Country Flag
    Ah thanks @OnetoothCracker, I just did a copy-paste without thinking. I usually rely on that rather than my spelling...

Users Country Flag
    Hi Tasjohn.
    Did you get this done or is it still planned?
    Cos I am in Hobart and have the timing tools.
    I replaced my T5 camshaft, bearings and followers in January and have just returned from a 3 month trip through the Kimberley and Pilbara etc. so 20,000 km and still going well.
    Let me know if you are still interested.
    Brewer.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

@Tasjohn

Hi! Just completed the camshaft replacement!

Sorry for the delayed reply, I haven't been on here for a while.

Back in feb, when I posted, I opened her up and found one lobe of the cam worn and the accompanying lifter dished so much, it had worn through the top, making it a none hydraulic lifter!

I couldn't get a new cam at that moment, so replaced that lifter, which got me going again until last week, when I bit the bullet and bought a new cam.

It's a horrible job to do first time around, mainly because there is so much conflicting information and you're never really sure which bit is right! That adds a pressure to the job, that just isn't needed!

I tried all ways possible to do this job without taking the front off the van, but in the end, it's the only real way to do it. Once done, I wondered why I bothered trying all the other tricks, as taking the front off wasn't that bad. I'll write up more about the job tomorrow.

How did you get on?