Support VWWC

Thread: Buying a used T5 MV

Users Country Flag

Buying a used T5 MV

Hi All,

We are totally sold on the idea of a multivan as an all-round family car. I however have concerns about the likely life left in an auto gearbox at the mileage our budget stretches to (around 200k on a pre facelift). From what I have read there are 2 issues, firstly the sealed for life / no filter change, and secondly a poor seal design which means generated emf can attract metallic particles inside the solenoids that eventually bungs them up. I appreciate the internet is going to have more horror stories than not, but even vehicles which have had regular oil/filter changes aren't immune from detonation.

So my questions are:

With the exception of smooth changes between all gears, is there anything else to look out for?

Were any changes made to improve the design in later models, if so from when?

Is there any preventive maintenance that can be done to prelong it's life (I am handy so was planning on filter and oil changes, I was thinking more along the lines of solenoids etc)?

It makes me wonder if it is worth buying one with a dead gearbox and get it rebuilt, design aside at least you are starting from 0km.

Regards Gav

As one who like a lemming followed VW's mantra about Sealed for Life , I can tell you that its a disaster waiting to happen . Now not everyone would face a problem but each circumstance would influence the life of the box . Number one VW will not tell you what is "life " {I tried } secondly VW told us when gear changes got lumpy between 3 rd and 4 th that the only fix was a new gear box WTF ! at 60000km . Thirdly as others posted after ours finally went to lunch that there are places who would open the box for a service . Inside the filter $45 can be changed the seal $15 can be changed and the fluid around $60 a litre can be changed , not what a VW dealer later at 120000 did with ours by draining the fluid through a bolt hole and refilling by another obviously the filter was left untoched and it became blocked by the new fluid fushing the box dislodging gunk that subsequently completly blocked the filter and we then lost drive and at the same time destroyed the clutch packs etc . When ours was rebuilt I was able to write my initials in the sludge in the bottom of the sump , and I still have the old blocked filter . If I knew what I found out after ours failed I would have done a filter and fluid change at the first sign of the lumpy changes I reckon we would still have that van if I knew that .

This document was issued to dealers during warranty time

Technical product information
    Transaction No.: 2009409/7
    T5, 128 kW jolts on gear change of auto gearbox
    Release date: 23-Apr-2008

It points out a valve body replacement and software update to a newer version, also shows the old and new version IDs

A thump at 1st to 2nd seems to be "normal" for the 09K and some other aisin boxes.

From memory there are American redesigned solenoids available (maybe others too)

Mine is serviced every 20,000 kms, (every 2 yrs for mine) has shown metal particles at every service, however is going ok
    at 170k (knock on wood, and everything crossed).

Yes the dealers know the problems of the T5 autos and will crucify you if you try and trade one in , they just don,t want to have one on the lot in case the box goes out to lunch for a new owner . Personally VW should be held responsible for loss that an owner faces because of known problems , when ours was valued I heard the valuer say to the salesman " ït's an automatic I wouldn't trust it "boom suddenly the thought of getting at least $12000 for a one owner 120000km van fully kitted out was lowered to between $4000 and $8000 bloody criminal behaviour . I thought Ned Kelly had been dead for years seems not .

Users Country Flag
    Vinda, I reckon you buy these cars with your heart and not your head, all three of my favourite 7 seaters are known for costly breakdowns, it’s a risk to buy a high mileage second hand car always, so buy below your budget with money to spend,

My first van a 06 103kw Shuttle, I bought as a demo, most reliable car I’ve ever had, sold at 150000km, never once saw the inside of a workshop, changed oil & filter religiously every 10000km, sold Shuttle bought an 08 Highline with 180000km, never let me down, did tran oil at 200,000km, replaced water pump just as a procaution just before I sold it a month ago with 300,000km

Just bought a 12 2L with only 110,000km, first 3000km consumed 6l oil ! Both my 2.5 never consumed any oil, and I don’t drive slow ! I do 99% country kilometres, the 2,5 was also country car when I bought it, with all the issues with these vans I think they last better as long distance cruisers rather then city driving.

VW kombis are great but always seem to have had some reliability issue, 2.5 noisy engine but reliable engine with unreliable gearbox, 2l much quieter smoother engine but plenty reports of engine issues, 7 spd transmission heaps smoother than 6 spd

On paper power looks comparable but in real world 5 cylinder a lot more instantaneous puch. My 6 spd always had a moment at one of the low gear shifts. (2?) So both my 2.5 excellent but serviced regularly and mostly did country miles.

If my new van engine fails me it will likely be my last vw, then I’ll buy a Disco or GL that will probably send me broke and only then will I do the sensible thing and buy a Toyota or Honda or Subaru

Affair of the heart, and four kids !

Quote Originally Posted by Syncrotek View Post
    This document was issued to dealers during warranty time

Technical product information
    Transaction No.: 2009409/7
    T5, 128 kW jolts on gear change of auto gearbox
    Release date: 23-Apr-2008

It points out a valve body replacement and software update to a newer version, also shows the old and new version IDs

A thump at 1st to 2nd seems to be "normal" for the 09K and some other aisin boxes.

From memory there are American redesigned solenoids available (maybe others too)

Mine is serviced every 20,000 kms, (every 2 yrs for mine) has shown metal particles at every service, however is going ok
    at 170k (knock on wood, and everything crossed).
    Ahh., that explains my situation, dealer replaced my auto at approx. 85,000km without any hesitation or "discussions" way back then...

Funny thing (not really) is I requested the full auto service after talking with the service staff after I discovered it wasn't a scheduled service item. (who reads manual right?)
    Up until then everything was running perfectly so booked the full auto service which required a small wait for the parts to arrive and low and behold...the rough changes happened immediately afterwards... and replacement occurred.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunny43.5 View Post
    Yes the dealers know the problems of the T5 autos and will crucify you if you try and trade one in , they just don,t want to have one on the lot in case the box goes out to lunch for a new owner . Personally VW should be held responsible for loss that an owner faces because of known problems , when ours was valued I heard the valuer say to the salesman " ït's an automatic I wouldn't trust it "boom suddenly the thought of getting at least $12000 for a one owner 120000km van fully kitted out was lowered to between $4000 and $8000 bloody criminal behaviour . I thought Ned Kelly had been dead for years seems not .
    So, I was sitting around doing nothing a week or so ago and went into the new commercial dealer in Sydney.......looking at Crafters...
    Salesman sees I have a van already and wants to get a valuation.
    I told him not to bother as VW will give me nothing.
    Eventually, I relent...............$500!

Geeze........they usually do a grand when they don't want them!

edit - and mine's a manual!
    Last edited by LogicprObe; 18-09-2018 at 06:08 PM.
    2018 Crafter Runner
    T5.2 6sp manual.

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by LogicprObe View Post
    So, I was sitting around doing nothing a week or so ago and went into the new commercial dealer in Sydney.......looking at Crafters...
    Salesman sees I have a van already and wants to get a valuation.
    I told him not to bother as VW will give me nothing.
    Eventually, I relent...............$500!

Geeze........they usually do a grand when they don't want them!

edit - and mine's a manual!
    You get heaps more by selling privetaly. I got $16,500 for my 2005 T5 4Mo Van and could probably sell it for more.