Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Broken key issue

Broken key issue

Hey guys. So I have broken my key for my 2012 Multivan. The blade part has come off the main black section. I tried starting it with just the blade and using a pair of pliers, but it comes up with 'key not found' and stops running straight away. So obviously it needs the black part to start it. But I can jam the blade part into the top of the black part and have it make contact with the metal and it will start like normal. But then the black part wants to fall off/wont stay on there. So I put a dab of super glue on it to hold it in place to get me home. But when I got home I pulled the black part off with it running and nothing happened; as in it kept running and no warning signs on the dash...with just the blade in the ignition. Does anyone know if.... I start the van with the black part jammed onto the blade (like you'd start with an unbroken key), then remove the black part once running...will it keep going indefinitely or will it do some security thing and self destruct after 10km or something? haha
    This is obviously just a temporary fix and I will be getting a new key as soon as I can but they are closed until Tuesday and not even sure if I can get in to get it done that day, so I really need to be able to drive the van until then.
    Also, while I have you, any idea how much a new genuine proper key from VW will sting me? I'm expecting a lot.
    Cheers guys.

Take a pic of the end of the key that goes into the button section.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag
    Same thing happened to me about 3 months ago.
    I was starting the car with the key by doing what you are doing .
    When stopping. I left the key in the car out of site, and locked the car with the fob.
    I found a key fob replacement on eBay.
    I took a photo of the key and sent it to them.
    I got the key from them already cut and the housing and then just swapped everything over including the pcb which has the I’d chip.
    Cost me about 25 dollars.
    Have to be careful when you destruct the old fob , push the locking pin in about 5 mm until you can crack it open.
    Make sure you put the locking pin in the new fob , as it can crack open if you drop it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag
    I bought a cheap fob off aliexpress and swapped the blade and guts over, it's not as nice as the OEM one, but it works and was only a few bucks.

Is your blade broken or the bit holding it to the fob? Or has the retaining pin just fallen out?

If you buy a new one from VW they have to code the car to accept the key, if you take an existing key to some key places they will clone the stock one and cut the blade to match. Hell, I've seen mobile services on Facebook that come to you, can't go too far wrong when you don't pay them until it works I suppose.

If you haven't already got a spare, now is the time to get two cut.
    Last edited by The_Hawk; 27-12-2020 at 02:23 PM.

If it has an engine or heartbeat it's going to cost you. | Refer a Friend - AussieBroadband $50 Credit

Users Country Flag
    Yes
    Sorry mine was from Aliexpess as well not ebay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag
    Same thing happened to my 2012 Multivan just a month ago, using spare now.

Anyone had any experiences with the blade being broken and can't switch the blade over to a new fob? Wondering what my options are for getting a new key - right now super glue is holding it together.

Pics?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Broken key issue-screen-shot-2021-01-01-1-29-26-pm-png

So the blade within has broken off from the flipping mechanism.

Users Country Flag

Look on AliExpress use the number on the side of the key.
    There are some stores that you can send a photo of the key and they will send you a cut key and new fob case. Swap the key and cct board over ( which has the ID chip) and you have new key.

Click in description to get CNC cutting of key.( they will send you cut key)
    YouTube on how to swap over, have to push the locking pin in on the old key. NB. Don’t push the pin in too far only enough to separate. Make sure to put the pin back or they key may pop open if you drop it.

Or you can go to a locksmith and get new key $300 or VW for about the same.

AU $13.16 16% Off | Jingyuqin Remote Flip Car Key Control ASK 434mhz ID48 For VW Volkswagan Sharan Multivan T5 5 Button Full Key Fob
    Jingyuqin Remote Flip Car Key Control ASK 434mhz ID48 For VW Volkswagan Sharan Multivan T5 5 Button Full Key Fob|Car Key| - AliExpress

VW and Audi key remote disassembly for replacement of key ring, flip key, and immobilizer chip - YouTube

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast