Thread: Brake Problem

Users Country Flag

Brake Problem

Any ideas? I have a 2002 T4 Transporter and sometimes when I'm driving and need to brake, the brake pedal is as hard as a rock and no brakes? Only happens every now and then though?

check the large vacuum lines to the servo. If these are split and leaking you will have no vacuum and no pedal assistance.
    Happened on my T5.
    check especially near the joins at the servo and elsewhere.
    I just fitted some reinforced flexhose over the existing hose, after cutting off the splits
    Steve
    04 T5 auto 2.5L TDI

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Thanks Steve. This was the problem. However when I was disconnecting the hose from the 3 connection joiner I broke one of the connectors. So old and brittle. So what I did was blocked of the broken connection, plugged in a 3 way T peace and joined hoses up. This seemed to have fixed the problem. I don't know what the connection piece is called though to get a new one?

Quote Originally Posted by Rebuild View Post
    check the large vacuum lines to the servo. If these are split and leaking you will have no vacuum and no pedal assistance.
    Happened on my T5.
    check especially near the joins at the servo and elsewhere.
    I just fitted some reinforced flexhose over the existing hose, after cutting off the splits

not familiar with the T4's.
    edit below: was mistaken(googled "vacuum pump" helps)
    On the T5 the large servo line is fed from the vacuum pump at the end of the cylinder block, with a small rubber line splitting off halfway along and goes to the vac. reservoir on the bulkhead (which in turn is needed for the variable vane turbo boost to function properly), effectively a 3 way join.

Ask the parts dept at VW
    Last edited by Rebuild; 02-07-2020 at 10:33 AM.
    Steve
    04 T5 auto 2.5L TDI