Thread: Auto window problem

Auto window problem

Hey guys. New member here and first post.

So I have a 2011 Multivan Highline.
    I'm having issues with the drivers side automatic window control switch (or the window)

I bought the van about 6 months ago from a dealer. The window was fine but after a month or so it started to play up. When you pressed it to open, it would work about 50% of the time. When it didn't work it would do nothing. When it worked it went up and down fine. I told the dealer and they replaced the switch. It seemed okay for a few days then went back to it's old tricks. Long story short the dealer is a prick and won't do any more to fix the issue and isn't returning calls etc and they are like 4 hours away. So I've given up on that and will just look to get it fixed myself.
    I had it serviced the other day and asked the mechanic to take a look. But when I picked it up all he said was 'oh, it must be a bad switch'. I said, no, the switch has been replaced (which I'd told him) so it is more than likely not that. He tried to charge me $60 for that but when I said that's crap he refunded.
    Now, if I press the lock button on the key (and hold it down), the window operates perfectly every time. So the motor is fine. So if the motor is fine and the switch is new, there must be a short or issue between them both.
    Also occasionally if you press the switch down to undo the window and it doesn't work, but you continue to hold it down, you get a weird sound from inside the door panel like the motor or something is trying to open the window but it won't.
    Does anyone have any ideas? What is there between the switch and the window motor? is it just wires or is there some sort of control module that could be faulty ? My next plan is take it to a VW dealer but they will be expensive, but at least they should be able to fix the bloody issue haha Cheers guys

There are control units on each front window motor assemblies, they can be affected by moisture,
    do a search for door control units J387, J386.