Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Amarok wheels & tyres suitability with transporter t5 ???

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkie View Post
    Nice!

This is something only a few would be able to tell us, I'd think this 1 is on you to discover and share

I know Guy H had similar on his T5 doublecab, but he has a V6 Amarok now and does not visit that often anymore.
    Let you know how I get on.

Been wondering whether height or width/thickness or both or none will be the case.

Have also noticed due to going from 225/65/16 to 245/65/17 the 50mm height increase has dropped the engine revs for the same speed which has affected the Cruise control in that due to the lesser revs = lesser torque (I think) and on coming to hills the Cruise control just drops the speed and I have to change down a cog and revert back to manual until I'm back on 'level' road which is a bit of a pain.

The speed/speedo has also been affected in that @ 90ks its actually doing 96.4 ks and I've fitted a HUD to avoid speed fines.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by DOUBLECAB View Post

Have also noticed due to going from 225/65/16 to 245/65/17 the 50mm height increase has dropped the engine revs for the same speed which has affected the Cruise control in that due to the lesser revs = lesser torque (I think) and on coming to hills the Cruise control just drops the speed and I have to change down a cog and revert back to manual until I'm back on 'level' road which is a bit of a pain.

The speed/speedo has also been affected in that @ 90ks its actually doing 96.4 ks and I've fitted a HUD to avoid speed fines.
    Mmmm, we all sort of forgot about that. I normally check when I replace/upsize tires myself but it slipped my mind on this ....

Have a look here ... Tyre Size Calculator

The 225/65/16s are 699mm in diameter, so you would be looking at something similar.

225/60/17 is 701mm, so neglible difference in revs and 245/55/17 is also 701mm
    These are probably the ones you'd be looking at when it comes to replacement time.

Also, with VCDS you can "correct" the speedo reading if you know somebody who has it.
    Current: 2023 MY23 T-Roc R Lapiz Blue + Beats Audio + Black pack 2018 MY19 Golf R manual Lapiz Blue + DAP (mods are underway ) 2018 MY18 Golf 110TSI Trendline manual White (with mods now 150TSI) 2014 Amarok TSI Red (tuned over 200kw + lots of extras) 2013 Up! manual Red 10 Previous VWs and some others ...

Hi Sharkie.............thanks for the response

Have been using the tyre size calculator as that's where I learnt about the height comparisons and rev changes.

The two tyre sizes you mention 225/60/17 and 245/55/17 on a quick google don't appear to come in a heavier A/T off road tread which I'm after and then there is the load rating requirement.

The HUD I fitted has no probs giving the correct speed readings so that issue has been overcome.

The pain of the exercise is the Cruise-control issue.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123