Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Amarok 18" wheels fitted to my VW T5.1 Multivan

Quote Originally Posted by Tig-uan View Post

About Amarok wheels, while they are more available, their Offset is different to the Van's factory 18" Offset, so I prefer the feel of the Van's factory 18".
    Just a little FYI, although applicable to T6, not sure about T5: Calculated 'pokage' is virtually the same (1 or 2 mm) with Amarok vs Transporter/Multivan stock 18's. Amarok is 7.5J ET45 whereas the van's are 8.0J ET 50. So while the van's wheel width is greater, the offset is less (larger number = smaller offset).

Cheers! Matt
    Current: MY18 TRANSPORTER CrewVan, Indium Grey
    Previous: MY10 Tiguan 2.0TSI, Silver Leaf, APR StgII tune + many mod's

Users Country Flag
    You are right in the sense that the Offset is not hugely different.

The bigger problem with Amarok rims is their different width. 7.5J vs 8.0J in 18". 8.0J vs 7.0J in 17".
    Myself and another Multivan owner I spoke with, we both tried Amarok rims, but went back to Multivan rims, as the Amarok rims give it a (comparatively) strange feel. It is unfortunate, as the Amarok rims are more widely available and at better prices.
    Multivan MY12 TSI350 Red. Previous: 2008 Tiguan 103Tdi. 2010 Tiguan 125TSi.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeJonesMV View Post
    Hi.

I have a 2011 Multivan.

Looking to change the rims and was wondering if 225/45/18’s will fit without any issues?

Multi stud 5x100, 5x120

Any advice would be great.

Cheers
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickshift View Post
    That size will be fine, my 2011 came fitted with 255/45-18 from the factory.
    Do none of you care about overall diameter, load rating and speed rating?

There's 26mm difference in diameter and i really doubt the load rating matches what is on the tyre chart attached to the vehicle.

The speedo will be 10% wronger than it is now.
    Gearing will be out
    odometer will read fast
    /facepalm
    carandimage The place where Off-Topic is On-Topic
    I used to think I was anal-retentive until I started getting involved in car forums

True that. There's a number of websites that give you a calculator to compare with stock, different combinations of width & profile & what effect that will have on rolling diameter. Tire Size Calculator – Tire dimensions/diameter/circumference/revolutions per mile

Tig-uan, yeah... I would have preferred to go with something 8 or 8.5 wide & will down the track, maybe if tax refund is kind! I find the ride pretty good with what I have on the Amarok 18's & EAGLE F1 ASYMMETRIC 3 255/45R18 103Y rubber, bare in mind i'm not hooking into corners like you can in a car.

Ok, so i'm on the look-out for some 18x8 or 18x8.5's that have an acceptable load rating for my T6. Not 100% sure, but I think I need a load rating 0f 805KG? I've tried a few of the larger places like Tempe & Autocraze, & while they offer a good range to choose from with a '100% fitment & safety guarantee', when I enquire about a particular wheel, they tell me they have nothing with the required load rating for a Transporter... And the Amarok rims are a bit skinny at 7.5 wide.

Any recommendations on where to look? I like a simple 5 spoke design & considering VW's Dakar rim. Price may be prohibitive though... Awaiting on a quote.

Try Koya Wheels here in Brisbane they do custom made wheels , we got our wheels from them a few years back but not sure if they are still doing specific ones for the Transporter as they arent on their site anymore .Home - Koya Wheels

Thanks Sunny, looks like they don't do them any more, oh well i'll keep looking... Speedie have a few with the right offset & load rating with a stud pattern noted as 'Blank'. I guess that means they could be drilled to 5 x 120, or whatever you wanted?

Need some help.

I have a T5 LWB 4 Motion-any idea if 255/60/18 or 245/70/16 will work?

I’m aware they’re very different.

Looking at Amarok wheels.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by MattJones View Post
    Need some help.

I have a T5 LWB 4 Motion-any idea if 255/60/18 or 245/70/16 will work?

I’m aware they’re very different.

Looking at Amarok wheels.

Thanks.
    Hi Matt...................I also have a T5 2008 LWB double cab motion and just went through the exercise of buying a set of 16" Amarok alloys only to discover the 16"s will only fit on the rear as the front brake calipers are larger than the Amarok's.

So that now puts the exercise on to the 17" Amaroks which also increases the rim width from 6.5" to 8" and the tyre width to 245 which I've not been able as yet to find out whether that width will rub when turning and whether those rims and tyres are road legal in Victoria.

BTW The impression I get on this forum is that folk don't care about load rating and legal when it comes to wheels...... which IMHO makes it kinda difficult to get all the data/help one is looking for.

Anyways that's my 2cents and I'm not sure how much if any help I've been to you.

Users Country Flag

On a 4motion T5, T5.1 & T6 you need Amarok rims 17" or larger to fit over the brakes. It has been mentioned a number of times over the years here now.

The GVM of the Amarok is 3040kg and the Multivan is 3080kg, so whatever Amarok rim fits the Multivan is both load rated and legal in Australia. It is the only rim in Australia practically guaranteed to do that as it is a VW OEM rim and not aftermarket.

Note the 17" Amarok rims are pretty awful looking so a number of people here run 18" Amarok rims (with 255/60/18s) with no issues with rubbing that I have heard of. Amarok rims are pretty cheap secondhand ($500 on FB marketplace) so very little risk in trying a set out.
    Last edited by Sharkie; 25-05-2020 at 09:35 AM.
    Current: 2023 MY23 T-Roc R Lapiz Blue + Beats Audio + Black pack 2018 MY19 Golf R manual Lapiz Blue + DAP (mods are underway ) 2018 MY18 Golf 110TSI Trendline manual White (with mods now 150TSI) 2014 Amarok TSI Red (tuned over 200kw + lots of extras) 2013 Up! manual Red 10 Previous VWs and some others ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast