Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: All Terrain Tyre Options for 2WD T5.1?

Users Country Flag

All Terrain Tyre Options for 2WD T5.1?

Hey Guys,

Just bought a 2012 T5.1 Comfortline 2WD Multivan.

I live on the coast and am likely to drive on sand and dirt roads quite often...plus I really like the look

I'm keen on the BFG All Terrain's and know some of the sizes exist to suit a 215/65/R16 106T wheel - but I can't seem to find anything that fits the load rating and speed rating in any brand of AT tyres.

If I need to buy 17" rims so I can get something that works, I will. I'm not willing to not have insurance on the car.

I live in VIC if that helps.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

with the dust and flies in western Victoria
    AT tyres will always have a lower speed rating but it'll still be faster than what your van can manage anyway...

Bridgestone A/T 697 is the way to go if you feel you must have an AT pattern... however, given the capability of your van, any decent load rated tyre will suffice for what you need.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Thanks Seano. Last night I was looking at the AT 697's as the load rating is good, the Speed rating is S, which I now know is ok... 215/65/R16C...I'm pretty sure the OD is even basically the same as stock
    Last edited by Haydos78; 31-10-2020 at 09:12 AM.

Also found Hankook Dynapro AT2 RF11's also that will work... in the same size as stock.

If I wanted bigger...Vic standards say no more than 15mm in height change... Does that mean I could run the 235/70/R16 109T XL and still be legal?
    Last edited by Haydos78; 31-10-2020 at 05:15 PM.

Pirelli Scorpion ATR 235/65/R17 108H have worked well for me. On my second set.

2012 132kw T5.1 TDI DSG 4Motion LWB Transporter, locking rear diff. Macron Campervan conversion. ECB bullbar. Milford towbar and rear light protector. Seikel Desert HD 30mm lift kit.

Thanks mate

with the dust and flies in western Victoria
    Quote Originally Posted by Haydos78 View Post
    Also found Hankook Dynapro AT2 RF11's also that will work... in the same size as stock.

If I wanted bigger...Vic standards say no more than 15mm in height change... Does that mean I could run the 235/70/R16 109T XL and still be legal?
    You could...but, unless the bigger size is cheaper, I wouldn't bother. I run to a bigger size than stock (205/70R15 instead of 205/65R15) simply because the slightly larger tyre is much cheaper being a more common size...the fact I can get this size in a load rated AT pattern tyre (Bridgestone AT 697) is just a bonus. That I've only been taking advantage of for three years...

Otherwise, the old T4 syncro has done plenty of off pavement travel and I've only found one crook set of normal van tyres in 18 years in these conditions in that time...and yes they were Hankook's!!

Quote Originally Posted by transparu View Post
    Pirelli Scorpion ATR 235/65/R17 108H have worked well for me. On my second set.
    Can you go a 235/65 profile on a Multivan legally? Load and speed rating are fine obviously, but isn't the size over 15mm higher?

I'm sorry - i'm still trying to work this stuff out.

Quote Originally Posted by Haydos78 View Post
    Can you go a 235/65 profile on a Multivan legally? Load and speed rating are fine obviously, but isn't the size over 15mm higher?

I'm sorry - i'm still trying to work this stuff out.
    G'day Haydos,

Yes, this is 15mm increase. I chose these tyres because 15mm is the largest legal lift from tyres (in Queensland, at least) - AND I liked the tread pattern for rougher roads. There WAS a slight issue in that on one wheel lock there was slight rubbing of a tyre on a plastic shroud. This was only an issue when parking in a tight place. Some people have cut that bit of plastic out, I understand. In my case, I have more recently put in a $eikel lift kit. No more rubbing and a much better vehicle all round.
    The only down side of the increased rolling diameter of the tyres is that whilst the factory speedo had a +4% error, it now has a -4% error. I drive by my GPS much of the time so this isn't an issue for me.

2012 132kw T5.1 TDI DSG 4Motion LWB Transporter, locking rear diff. Macron Campervan conversion. ECB bullbar. Milford towbar and rear light protector. Seikel Desert HD 30mm lift kit.

Users Country Flag

I'd be looking at getting a cheap set of factory 17 VW steels and throwing on 225/60/R17 KO2s 107 load rated

Speedo is spot on on my T6, i do have a Seikel lift, and the spare does fit in the spare tire carriage.

We did a lap around aus last year, handled well on road and off-road, wear seems ok, starting to make a little noise after 35K, but it is a AT
    2017 VW T6 3200KG GVM LWB 132kW 7 Speed DSG (Campervan Conversion)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast