Support VWWC

Thread: Towing with 132kw transporter

Users Country Flag

Towing with 132kw transporter

hi all
    i have bought a caravan from Alice Springs and need to tow it home(Tasmania)
    i have a diesel rodeo trayback which will kill it but would rather use my van(132 kw bi turbo) as its way more comfortable,and fuel efficient(coming from Tas)
    the numbers all add up but i need seat of the pants experience. i dont want to kill my van so would appreciate some feedback from those who tow a van regularly
    what do you think?
    thanks...russ

Last edited by merlot; 15-09-2019 at 08:00 PM.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by merlot View Post
    hi all
    i have bought a caravan from Alice Springs and need to tow it home(Tasmania)
    i have a diesel rodeo trayback which will kill it but would rather use my van(132 kw bi turbo) as its way more comfortable,and fuel efficient(coming from Tas)
    the numbers all add up but i need seat of the pants experience. i dont want to kill my van so would appreciate some feedback from those who tow a van regularly
    what do you think?
    thanks...russ

Whats its towball weight and what is the Transporter's limit Bet it will be to light for the van as it will be at least 150kg
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Just be wary of the figures VW quote , a friend of mine purchased a T5 128KW manual diesel some years back based on my experience with ours at the time . Sadly his ended in tears he spent a fortune converting his cab chassis model to a fith wheeler and built a camper trailer to his design and then found the VW would not pull away on any sort of incline unless he slipped the clutch . VW ended up having to buy back the van and pay for his conversion costs and then they amended the towing capcity for those models , his trailer was way under the quoted weights VW told him it could tow . So be wary .

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    thanks
    thats why i wasnt concerned re the numbers....looking for someone who has towed a caravan
    i dont want to get to alice and find out its not viable

going today...guess ill take the rodeo then try vw when i get it home

thanks russ

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by merlot View Post
    thanks
    thats why i wasnt concerned re the numbers....looking for someone who has towed a caravan
    i dont want to get to alice and find out its not viable

going today...guess ill take the rodeo then try vw when i get it home

thanks russ
    Its quite simple really Whats the towball limit on the Transporter The vans will be at least 10% on that model Only got to look at how far back the axles are to realise it wont be light

Here from a quick Google

The Transporter Vans Towball weight allowance spec is 100Kg. The camper trailer's towball weight lists as 125Kg. The van's towing capacity is listed as 2000Kg braked
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan