Thread: AC Condensate

AC Condensate

I had some trouble with condensate from the ac backing up due to a pinched drain hose. Once i fixed this i noticed the hose basically goes through the firewall and 30mm into the engine bay.

Is there supposed to be a hose connected on the engine bay side to guide the condensate to the ground or is it ok for it to just run down into the pan and find it’s way out?

Maybe a video helps to explain. This is for a VW Transporter T5

When mine was new the pipe just ended, but I noticed the water that ran out fell directly onto the drive shaft CV joint and had already made it very rusty. So I bought a bit of extra pipe ad extended it out a bit more so it missed the CV joint and fell onto the plastic pan. Its very sloppy design.

Thanks Brian. Really appreciate this advice - I'll do the same. It just didn't feel right watching it dribble down all over everything. Maybe some sort of heat resistant tape to hold it in place. Mind you, things are pretty hot in there in the weather i'm using my AC so it probably doesn't hang around too long i guess...

Users Country Flag
    The drain looks to have the same design as the sunroof drain, it acts like a one way valve, the water pressure will allow it to open and drain out, when no water is it closed so ants etc cannot crawl in there.
    Sunroof drains need to be cleared out every now and then, usually a squeeze on the rubber to open it up would clear a lot of muck out.
    MK4 GTI - Sold
    MK5 Jetta Turbo - Sold
    MK5 Jetta 2.Slow - Until it dies.

ah this makes sense. I haven’t got around to running the extra hose and probably best i don’t if that’s the case