Support VWWC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4motion w/ Diff Lock Transporter TDI 340 vs 450 for Beach driving

4motion w/ Diff Lock Transporter TDI 340 vs 450 for Beach driving

Hi all,
    I'm not extremely experienced with this forum, but did indeed research threads about beach driving on soft sand. It seems that the majority of the posts and experiences shared through here are from TDI450 models with 4motion, some with diff lock and some without.

I am looking at a new LWB Transporter or Crewvan and a camper conversion inside and have got mixed feedback on the need for the stronger 450 engine for beach driving.

I have the VW Multivan on TDI340 and can't complain about the engine, only the sluggish response mostly due to the DSG in city driving.. But it is a 2WD and never did any offroad with it, neither had a 4motion before.

I am certain about 4motion and Diff lock (mechanical), and I am wondering if the extra $6k for the 450 is worth it, I know it DOES have more power and would definitely perform better, it is pretty obvious more power = safer, but the reality is ... IS IT NEEDED for beach driving if 4motion and diff lock are available?

If it was just the panel van, I would risk on the 340, but since it has been loaded with things for camping, maybe I'm pushed for the 450?

I much better save the money if not needed and spend towards accessories and/or the conversion, but it is a large investment and a long term one, so I don't want to regret it and although it would stretch the finances, it would be a better decision in the long run.. Thoughts?

Anyone's experience on the beach with a 4motion TDI340 (T6 or maybe even T5) if you can share it will be much appreciated.

Thanks and god bless VW Vans!!

No experience with a Transporter 4motion beach driving, but i've been in my mates new 4motion Crafter with a full campsetup in the back, and about 6 of us in the back and it felt like we were in a hovercraft over the sand. Tackled some pretty soft sand and flew straight over it. I think you'd be fine with the 350 with deflated tyres.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtwem View Post
    No experience with a Transporter 4motion beach driving, but i've been in my mates new 4motion Crafter with a full campsetup in the back, and about 6 of us in the back and it felt like we were in a hovercraft over the sand. Tackled some pretty soft sand and flew straight over it. I think you'd be fine with the 350 with deflated tyres.
    Thanks mate. It's $6k difference and I don't want it to be something I regret it in the future as this will be one van that we buy for several years ahead and that's the one I won't be able to change, but much rather spend that $6k on lift kits and body underguard.

Thanks for your reply anyway. Hopefully there is a member here with a 4motion 340 to provide some insights..
    Cheers

I have some experience beach driving with other vans.
    I've taken my 2007 2wd 2.5L 128kw T5 camper onto the beach (mostly hard sand) at Rainbow bay and down a few dirt tracks without fuss
    Specifically for beach driving I don't think that the 450 is necessary. Suspension and tyres would make a bigger difference.

Compared to a 98kw T5 my 128kw has more power but I only really notice it when going uphill on the motorway and I don't tow anything. I think that the 103kw TDI340 will get the job done, but you won't be hooning around in the sand like you're in a Landcruiser or Prado. That said if you try to drive the van on the beach like it's a standard 4wd with 35's you'll want someone else around.

These guys (Seit 3 Jahren VANLIFE 🚐 ROOMTOUR 4x4 VW T5 Offroad Camper mit DIY Toilette, Dusche und Aufstelldach - YouTube - subtitles available) only have a 2015 T5 103kw auto and diff lock (they mention it at around 12:20 in that video). They are doing some adventurous off roading!! More from them here: VW T5 Offroad: with our 4x4 Bulli in Argentina - Mina la Mejicana - YouTube

Personally I would save your money and spend it on suspension, tyres, installing recovery points, recovery gear, etc.. Like you said, 6k goes a long way.

You could even take some of that money and do a training course such as this one: 4motion VW Off Road Camper-van Driver Training Event (Australia’s first) - YouTube

Thumbs up

I've taken my 2007 2wd 2.5L 128kw T5 camper onto the beach (mostly hard sand) at Rainbow bay and down a few dirt tracks without fuss
    Specifically for beach driving I don't think that the 450 is necessary. Suspension and tyres would make a bigger difference.

Compared to a 98kw T5 my 128kw has more power but I only really notice it when going uphill on the motorway and I don't tow anything. I think that the 103kw TDI340 will get the job done, but you won't be hooning around in the sand like you're in a Landcruiser or Prado. That said if you try to drive the van on the beach like it's a standard 4wd with 35's you'll want someone else around.
    That makes sense, I did tow a large caravan with my TDI340 Multivan without issues, including uphill in the motorway, so no issues there. The only thing I feel is that the van is "sluggish" from a 'foot down' to 'reacting' but I think this is due to DSG design, and I'm not sure the higher powered models are any different. Can you confirm?

The biggest concern was soft sand needing high momentum/power to not get in trouble and to get out of trouble. 35mm lift and AT terrains will certainly be in scope, as will be diff lock and 4motion. I was concerned that by adding equipment and camper conversion, the extra weight would put too much on the 110kw/150HP(TDI340) requiring the 146kw/200HP(TDI450). But I may be wrong.

I'll have a look at the videos, thanks for sharing them. What I struggle to find in some examples online with European vehicles is that most are around off-road / mud / snow / hard dirt / rock climbing .. including the 4motion training event... but I'm more concerned about beach driving in soft sand conditions (typical WA beach).. I don't have any concerns over the TDI340 capability having owned one, but I never put it on the beach (it's 2WD), neither have it as a LWB camper conversion (extra weight) so don't know what it would be like with these two things added together!

From what you are saying it's giving me more and more confidence in investing the $6k in the lift kit, tyre upgrade and recovery gear, but I wanted to get confidence not to regret this in the future! There is a 9-12 months wait at the moment on the T6.1's so I was relying on advice to get this one right..

Any further insights from all here would be much appreciated!

UPDATE: just test-drove a T6.1 Transporter TDI340 .. it was way more responsive than my 2017 TDI340 Multivan.. I reckon the van is a lot lighter and that makes a huge difference. Maybe there are some tweaks on the new engine or DSG, maybe I'm wrong, but it definitey felt a lot more responsive PLUS this was a LWB.. My Multivan is a SWB. So very impressed and it should be perfectly fine I reckon with 4motion capabilities. There is always an opportunity to 'remap' the ECM if I wanted to get a bit extra power / torque, but not sure it is necessary. Cheers

Users Country Flag
    In terms of either variant not being able to copy in soft sand. From reading other reviews of DSG-equipped cars, it seems that DSG may overheat in softsand. I assume that would be due to the moments when it takes off, or changes the gears. So, I would just keep DGS in "1" to avoid gear changes, and try not to stop it completely. If TDI450 were more rev-able than TDI340, than less gear changes will be needed in TDI450, but I think their rev-ability is similar. On the other hand, the other threat would be the overheating of the engine internals or enginee oil, and TDI450 is more likely to exprience higher temperatures. Thus, TDI340 would be the go from the realibility perspective.
    Last edited by Tig-uan; 08-02-2021 at 01:41 PM.
    Multivan MY12 TSI350 Red. Previous: 2008 Tiguan 103Tdi. 2010 Tiguan 125TSi.

I have a 128kw 400nm t5 4motion with a diff lock, standard suspension and 16 inch wheels / tyres. Traction has never been an issue when off road, even when towing a motorbike trailer loaded with dirt bikes. I never feel like I'm underpowered. Ground clearance on the other hand is an issue. I have been bogged to the floor in soft sand simply because I don't have the height to clear the hump between the wheel tracks. This has also been an issue on deeply rutted fire trails. I would suggest lifting your suspension but be aware that there is increased wear to your driveshafts with this option. You might be able to get a little height from the right tyres but as I discovered this week Amarok wheels are not the solution for my van. In particular 245/65r17 rub in too many places and don't leave the option of carrying a spare wheel. If it were me I would probably lift by 30mm, get some slightly taller tyres and a really fast compressor. After that I would buy a set of bashplates from seikel off road because momentum is your best friend on soft sand.

Thanks for the input mate. Much appreciated.
    I was under the impression that 245/65R17s did not rub and could get a bit of extra clearance (around 30mm from tyre calculators) but I may be wrong..
    Lift kit is an expensive option for the T6.1, can only do seikel apparently and it is more than 4 grand installed.
    Steel wheels and 245/65r17 are around $1500.. So I was thinking of starting there, but you now got me worried about wheel rubbing..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast