Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4Motion Diff Lock Question - Mechanical vs Electronic

4Motion Diff Lock Question - Mechanical vs Electronic

Hi Guys. I'm interested in picking up a T5 LWB 4Motion to convert to an overlanding windsurf van. I'm having some difficulty determining if used vans are fitted with the standard electronic diff lock or mechanical diff lock and was hoping 4motion owners could help.

I'm aware that:
    1. VW offers both mechanical and electronic diff locks for the 4motion T5/T6;
    2. Electronic diff locks are now fitted as standard (presumbly to newer T6);
    3. Diff locks can be engaged using the dash mounted button picture below.

What I'm unsure of is if this button is ONLY used for the mechanical diff lock option?

I'm currently searching through several van online and it would be good to know if this button is essentially proof of a mechanical diff lock. I'm also guessing the button is not mounted if a diff lock is not fitted?

Secondly, if anyone can point me in the right direction for high quality offroad T5/T6 build threads please share.

All T5s with that button are equipped with the additional rear diff lock.

This video shows some of the benefits (YouTube is also the best place for quality builds in my opinion):

YouTube

Users Country Flag

This shows what they’re capable of.

Quote Originally Posted by Stickshift View Post
    All T5s with that button are equipped with the additional rear diff lock.
    Boom, there we are. Thank you.

Users Country Flag
    In the waning days of the T2 Kombi, and with little financial assistance from Volkswagen HQ, engineer Gustav Meyer devised an ingenious all-wheel drive system for the German marque's air-cooled van.
    The system, a forerunner to the modern 4MOTION driveline, was sidelined with the arrival of the water-cooled (T3) model. The first production models of the all-wheel drive Kombi eventually rolling off the production line in the mid 1980s.
    Based on a Ferguson system -- originally devised by an Irish engineer for tractors and then race cars (including the 1961 Ferguson P99 Formula One car) -- the AWD system did away with the need for levers and locking hubs to decide when drive was transmitted to the secondary axle. Instead, the new arrangement operated 'on demand' via the use of a cylindrical synchronous viscous coupling.
    Perfected by Swedish firm Haldex, the fourth-generation, electronically-controlled version of this technology is now available in the modern version of the Kombi – the T5 series Multivan.
    Free of the limitations of conventional 4WD systems, 4MOTION allows each wheel to gain the maximum traction possible. It then senses which wheel (or wheels) has the best potential for drive and transmits torque accordingly.
    The system can operate in broad parameters, front to rear and left to right, and can even calculate distribution of drive to the front or rear axles depending on grades (uphill drive goes to the rear, downhill to the front). In the Multivan 4MOTION, the system is complemented by an optional rear differential lock.

Users Country Flag
    Hi Pricey, I copied that from a ‘12 update review, I thought the rear diff lock was standard on Multivans after update but it became an option it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by Kombi View Post
    Hi Pricey, I copied that from a ‘12 update review, I thought the rear diff lock was standard on Multivans after update but it became an option it seems.
    Thanks for the info Kombi.

I've read up on this quite a lot. There seems to be chatter that the electronic diff lock is now standard, so its not just you thinking this mate.

I believe this is essentially the same system the new Suzuki Jimny uses which individually activates each wheels brakes in response to slippage thereby transferring energy to the opposing wheel. Though I could also be wrong!

Either way, glad that the dash button is only present when a mechanical locker is present.

Users Country Flag
    Hi All,

New guy on the block here. Thanks for the info so far, it's been about the best I can find anywhere.

I've been trying to find some info regarding the off-road performance difference between the T5 4Motion mechanical diff-lock vs electronic diff lock. I've got my eyes set on a Multivan 4Motion but have discovered it does not have the mechanical diff lock. I want the confidence that I can take my family of 4 kids to do a bit of off-roading, ie Karijini National Park, without becoming too unstuck.

Can anyone attest to the performance of the electronic diff-lock version?

Thanks in advance!

In my experience the EDL is helpful but no substitute for a mechanical difflock which actually makes the rear axles one solid drive axle, equal drive to each rear wheel, I have owned and experienced both types.

I’ve got mechanical diff lock button in 2010 biturbo. It is an extra layer of 4wd performance, but the standard 4motion is still more than capable. The mech diff lock I find is great for mud & rocky terrain.
    For a WA mission in a standard 4Motion, good tyres that you drop to 16psi on the beach is a must. You loose a lot of clearance when you drop the tyres, which is the same with mech DL & EDL.
    Good Suspension for corrugated roads.
    You generally need to drive faster on beach than with a proper 4wd.
    And let your tyres down early, maybe to 24-28psi, then if u get stuck you can drop them to 12-16 psi, and dig your way out, then “gun it”!
    Karijini is fine even in a 2WD.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast