Thread: 340 or 450 T6.1

340 or 450 T6.1

Hi Folks. New to the forum. We are looking at buying a new Campervan. In particular a Transporter 6.1 based van. I would like the 4Motion but trying to keep costs down - to a king ransom rather than the value of crown jewels - so looking at the 340 rather than the 450, which is 6.5k dearer.

Can anyone offer a real world view on the 340 compared to the 450. Is the 340 sufficient for easy 110Kph cruising and accelerating briskly past road trains.

On a related subject, there is currently available a 2016 Trakka Kakadu with 42K kms on it with full service history, which might fit the bill. Can you advise what the overall reliability of the T6 is like. If I happen to go for a used vehicle, is there any particular issues I should look for.

Many TIA.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by GOM1952 View Post
    Hi Folks. New to the forum. We are looking at buying a new Campervan. In particular a Transporter 6.1 based van. I would like the 4Motion but trying to keep costs down - to a king ransom rather than the value of crown jewels - so looking at the 340 rather than the 450, which is 6.5k dearer.

Can anyone offer a real world view on the 340 compared to the 450. Is the 340 sufficient for easy 110Kph cruising and accelerating briskly past road trains.

On a related subject, there is currently available a 2016 Trakka Kakadu with 42K kms on it with full service history, which might fit the bill. Can you advise what the overall reliability of the T6 is like. If I happen to go for a used vehicle, is there any particular issues I should look for.

Many TIA.
    some earlier euro 5 engines have had issues, but the redesigned part causing it would have been installed on your motor from new as a 2016 model,

I personally would look at the new T6.1 with the 5 year warranty and the new 450 motor, I’ve got the my17 euro 5 motor with 400nm and I couldn’t imagine anything less, when it comes to overtaking on the highway.

I’ve driven a lot of underpowered vans supplied by work, not enjoyable when fully loaded and the engine is labouring.

i’d look at the extra $6+k for a new model as cheap insurance if anything goes wrong on the second hand model, downside is the waiting for a new van
    2017 VW T6 3200KG GVM LWB 132kW 7 Speed DSG (Campervan Conversion)

Thanks Bryn. Yes. I think the extra money for the 450 and the peace of mind offered by the new vehicles' 5 year warranty might be the go. Or I could buy a (new model) Hi Ace. I just have to live with its unfortunate appearance and its total lack of charisma. I know, because I already own one Toyota.

Users Country Flag
    Not many new Transporters in the country at the moment and if you order now, the waiting time might be at least 6 months but more realistic time is 12 months. There was a new Beach California in grey at Solitaire in Adelaide 2 weeks ago. That was all what was available to buy.

Users Country Flag
    Ordered LWB 4motion CrewCab and eta is 04/22!

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by 65F100 View Post
    Ordered LWB 4motion CrewCab and eta is 04/22!
    Congrats on ordering a new van, although the wait times at the moment are hard to deal with.

I was at the dealer last week, 11-12 months on the 4motion Crafter, delivery times are really blowing out.

but its a first world problem
    2017 VW T6 3200KG GVM LWB 132kW 7 Speed DSG (Campervan Conversion)