Support VWWC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2013 T5 - weird noise - any suggestions?

Users Country Flag
    Blog Entries

2013 T5 - weird noise - any suggestions?

Hey Guys,
    I hear this noise from the rear cabin and it sounds like a high speed drill running for about a second at the most.
    Has anyone got a suggestion as to what it might be? I only hear it on occasion, maybe once every 25km and it seems to be random but I also think it happens after going over a bump.
    I've got it get the van serviced soon but I want to now what this is and should I be worried about it.
    Thanks in advance,
    Conor

Users Country Flag
    Petrol or diesel?
    I'm thinking in tank fuel pump.
    2018 Crafter Runner
    T5.2 6sp manual.

Users Country Flag
    Blog Entries
    It's an automatic diesel.
    Kinda sounds like a gear has slipped but its definitely not from the engine.
    Thanks for your input LogiccprObe.

When it happens have you observed any engine rev changes , there is not anything with electrical motors in the rear save for rearwindscreen washers or rear wipers which would be in the tailgate .

Users Country Flag
    Blog Entries
    Hey Sunny, no I haven't noticed anything with the revs and the van doesn't jolt or shudder. I don't think it's any of the electrical motors as you say. I can only describe the noise as the sound you'd here if someone pulled the trigger on a drill for a split second and it seems to be coming from the rear of the cargo area. Fingers crossed it's nothing serious.
    Thanks for your input. If I get to the bottom of it i'll let you know.

Users Country Flag

DSG ECU update?

Sounds like the noise mine made (2013 diesel DSG 4motion) before I discovered through forums like this that VW had produced a software update for the DSG ECU back in 2016, presumably to get rid of bugs like the one you described.
    I got my local service centre to instal it, and it solved the noise issue (plus possibly improved my gear change).
    BUT why did I have to pay $165 for the update just to get my gear box operating the way it was supposed to in the first place?
    And why did VW not tell service centres to automatically apply the update when the vehicles came in for service?

BUT why did I have to pay $165 for the update just to get my gear box operating the way it was supposed to in the first place?
    And why did VW not tell service centres to automatically apply the update when the vehicles came in for service?
    You don,t think those Taj Mahal,s called dealerships are grown on trees do you , I have customers come to me to fix their sunroofs because dealerships make stupid money from little or no work . One case is BMW X5,s twin glass sunroof , after some years a plastic part fails leaving the rear glass open in the tilted position while the front one closes normally . BMW tell the customer to leave the car for the day then they close the rear glass by simply pushing a guide on the inside which takes around 30 seconds . Then they remove the sunroof fuse from the fuse box another 30 seconds and the cost for the privilege of having totally disabling the whole sunroof ???? $375 !!!! When the same car is presented to me I close the rear glass the same way 30 seconds and then remove a small spring rod and plastic arm from the inside of the housing another 60 seconds and this still leaves the sunroof front panel and shades working perfectly . Cost usually a token $25 as its only a simple fix , now you know why dealers have Taj Mahals for themselves .
    Last edited by Transporter; 04-10-2019 at 10:57 PM.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by enigma27 View Post
    why did VW not tell service centres to automatically apply the update when the vehicles came in for service?
    ...because some software updates are only applied if the vehicle showing the symptoms?
    Last edited by Transporter; 05-10-2019 at 06:58 AM.

Users Country Flag
    Why update the software if you aren't trying to remove bugs from the original software? In which case why not apply the new software to all affected vehicles?
    Sadly, my VW service centre was unaware of the problem OR the solution, until I searched forums like this one, and asked the mechanics to check for updates - yet Transporter owners had been reporting this in forums back in 2016 in the UK, and 2017 in Western Australia.
    Wouldn't you imagine that VW would have alerted all their service centres about it by now?

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by enigma27 View Post
    Why update the software if you aren't trying to remove bugs from the original software? In which case why not apply the new software to all affected vehicles?
    Sadly, my VW service centre was unaware of the problem OR the solution, until I searched forums like this one, and asked the mechanics to check for updates - yet Transporter owners had been reporting this in forums back in 2016 in the UK, and 2017 in Western Australia.
    Wouldn't you imagine that VW would have alerted all their service centres about it by now?
    Because, that how it is, some software updates should only be applied if needed. Often goes by the VIN as well.
    Last edited by Transporter; 06-10-2019 at 07:14 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast