Support VWWC

Thread: 2011 T5 multivan bluetooth upgrade

Users Country Flag

2011 T5 multivan bluetooth upgrade

Hi all,

looking for some help please.

I’ve recently purchased a 2011 multivan and it has the rns510 headunit in it.
    I can connect my phone via Bluetooth and make and receive calls but can’t stream my audio.
    From what I’ve read it appears that I have to upgrade the Bluetooth module to a 9w7 to solve this issue.
    is anyone able to please confirm this?
    Also, where is the module located and would it be an easy swap over?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Hose

Maybe check the phone is actually sending audio as well as phone calls in its Bluetooth settings , sometimes ours connects for calls but not music so turning the unit off by key and restarting fixes it . Now admits here ours is a perfect Chinese copy of the VW unit as there was no way I was going to pay the ridiculous price for a VW unit that could not match the features of the copy and only cost a fraction of the VW unit . Ours came with Bluetooth built in and no coding required , also came with the latest GPS maps which VW will slug you drug money for the latest in their units . But hey don,t listen to me most on this forum think I am stupid for replacing the RNS unit with Chinese copy , so they are happy to pay around $3 k for the top of range VW unit with all the stuff the copy one has and a hell of a lot more in fact and only around $400 , even if it dies in a few years {ours still going strong after nearly 4 years } you can buy a newer updated version and still be in front of one single VW unit in cost .

Users Country Flag
    When phone connected do you get the Bluetooth sign in the top right corner next to MDI?

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunny43.5 View Post
    Maybe check the phone is actually sending audio as well as phone calls in its Bluetooth settings , sometimes ours connects for calls but not music so turning the unit off by key and restarting fixes it . Now admits here ours is a perfect Chinese copy of the VW unit as there was no way I was going to pay the ridiculous price for a VW unit that could not match the features of the copy and only cost a fraction of the VW unit . Ours came with Bluetooth built in and no coding required , also came with the latest GPS maps which VW will slug you drug money for the latest in their units . But hey don,t listen to me most on this forum think I am stupid for replacing the RNS unit with Chinese copy , so they are happy to pay around $3 k for the top of range VW unit with all the stuff the copy one has and a hell of a lot more in fact and only around $400 , even if it dies in a few years {ours still going strong after nearly 4 years } you can buy a newer updated version and still be in front of one single VW unit in cost .
    Thanks for the info Sunny.

I would like to keep it OEM if possible but i'm not adverse to replacing the unit for one with Carplay.

Quote Originally Posted by Kombi View Post
    When phone connected do you get the Bluetooth sign in the top right corner next to MDI?
    Nope.

The unit tells me that the phone is connected but i only get phone functionality.

Users Country Flag
    Is yours Highline or comfortline ? Does head units differ between models ? Was the head units updated with the 2012 facelift ?
    Mine a 2012 Highline, with first connection mine ask phone only or media player. Once connected it reads BT Audio on screen.

Sooooooo, I listened to the advice above and removed the phone from the car then re-installed it. That still didn’t work.
    When I looked through the the phone settings on the mfd I saw a couple of options that I need to activate -

media player - selected my phone
    in the phone settings change it from ‘phone only’ to ‘all’ (I think)

It now works and I get to keep it all OEM!

Thanks for the advice all.

Hose

Users Country Flag

So it's all working now! Excellent. I was just going to say there is a selectable option in VCDS that allows audio streaming you needed to turn on in the slightly older models, but being 2011 it should already be on... seem it is

Plan B: (and it's still an option) would be to upgrade the whole headunit to the RCD330+ which provides CarPlay and Android Auto (if you get the right model). Apparently the sound isn't as good, but it does provide Bluetooth, RVC support (although over composite and not CVBS like the OEM (there is an adaptor)) and is a factory unit. You do lose the built in NAV, but I tend to use Waze over the RNS most of the time anyway.

If it has an engine or heartbeat it's going to cost you. | Refer a Friend - AussieBroadband $50 Credit