Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2011 T5.1 Transporter Flywheel woe

Angry 2011 T5.1 Transporter Flywheel woe

Folk,
    I'd be interested to hear experiences/comments concerning a recent diagnosis by a trusted VW mechanic.
    I'd had a lightish chattering noise at idle (sometimes). It comes from the front, possibly passenger side, of the engine. I had the technician listen to it.
    Diagnosis: The dual mass flywheel is on the way out. The vehicle has done a tad over 173,000km. I'd be interested to know whether others have been confronted with this issue.

The quote to repair is a little shy of $3,500. That's a bit of a shock after a service cost of $1100 a week or so back.

I must say that my confidence in the brand is declining, despite having driven a VW T2, T3, T5.1 for 38 years, this one from new.

My list of major issues with the van includes:
    • This is the third auto transmission I've had in my present van (two were replaced under warranty).
    • Also under warranty, a bolt disappeared from a rear brake caliper and the other one sheared, stranding us in the outback for some time. Disk, caliper, pads etc replaced.
    • The ?bearing plates? above the front shock-absorbers failed and were replaced under warranty.
    • The vehicle leaked huge quantities of dust (inward) when on two different occasions "slam valves" failed. Replaced under warranty.
    • The left front door hinge broke and was replaced under warranty.
    • An exterior light filled with rain water, under warranty.
    • The alternator mount broke - out of warranty.
    • The windscreen wiper motor rusted from the inside out and failed, just out of warranty, but clearly due to a seal not being made on manufacture.
    • I had to replace the Moo Valve.

We've driven my wife's Camry for 18 years with no warranty issues and only three issues of significance needing attention. Mind you, it is NOT a VW!

Sorry, got carried away. I'm really interested in comments/experience concerning the DMF.

I really DO like driving my Transporter. A GREAT campervan.

Thanks all.

2012 132kw T5.1 TDI DSG 4Motion LWB Transporter, locking rear diff. Macron Campervan conversion. ECB bullbar. Milford towbar and rear light protector. Seikel Desert HD 30mm lift kit.

Users Country Flag
    That sounds like a particularly bad run.

We bought our 2010 T5GP new and had some engine part break early on under warranty which was quickly resolved by the local dealer. At about 4 years or so we had the inside door handle latch break, again replaced under warranty. Relatively minor things and both fixed without issue. Otherwise general maintenance.

Although after the last few years that maintenance bill has gotten a little more extreme. We were warned a year in advance that we needed the DMF replaced (about 200,000km) so were somewhat prepared for that... then the following year was the timing belt... then the AC compressor.

Those maintenance events kick started us looking for a new car, but we quickly came to the conclusion that the cost of a new car was still massively higher than the maintenance bills... and while those bills sucked, those big items are now done and assuming they are a once every 200,000km event that's not all bad. The reality is that a new Multivan is ~$70k so keeping this one we own seems like a fantiatic option for the next few years.

If it has an engine or heartbeat it's going to cost you. | Refer a Friend - AussieBroadband $50 Credit

Thanks for the reply.

It is but also it isn't good to know others have troubles too!

I was greatly encouraged by your last sentence or so. I too think this is a fantastic vehicle to drive and we're preparing for a 6000km trip right now (via Melbourne). We greatly appreciate the camper (through a friend refers to it as the Kraut Kramper). The driving position is great and vision ahead excellent.

All the best from Brisbane.

2012 132kw T5.1 TDI DSG 4Motion LWB Transporter, locking rear diff. Macron Campervan conversion. ECB bullbar. Milford towbar and rear light protector. Seikel Desert HD 30mm lift kit.

Excuse my ignorance, but i didn't think autos had or needed DMFs. Or is this because it's a DSG?
    Steve
    04 T5 auto 2.5L TDI

Users Country Flag
    Yep, DSG.

If it has an engine or heartbeat it's going to cost you. | Refer a Friend - AussieBroadband $50 Credit

Yes we were also told our DMF is starting to make noises , I,m just so pissed off at all the crap VW have come up with over the last 3 models . T5 with Tiptronic sealed for life and that's a ticking time bomb , then the T5.1 another shocker , mates DSG went to lunch with Mechtronics failing after only 160000 kays and a day later the drive belt failed and you guessed it the belt got dragged into the timing belt and boom partial engine rebuild . I managed to dodge that one as that problem had been posted on here so I had the new belts fitted before scheduled time and also had the "Robustness "kit fitted . But now it seems the DMF could be next . IF VW just stuck to the type of auto that has served the world so well for the previous 50 years or more ie torque converter we would not have half this crap costing us a fortune when it allgoes south . Sorry for the rant but the memory of our first T5 auto,s going to lunch $12k,s worth because some moron in VW decided the auto never need servicing and left a filter inside with even worse no tranny cooler . Next time you look at a DSG and notice 3 things 1/ Oil cooler fitted 2/ filter on the outside 3/ can be serviced , makes you wonder doesn't,t it .

Sunny,
    (From another thread.) Yes, mine's a DSG and the job is done. Ouch, a couple of times over. It's not only the DMF that's expensive, but all those VW bolts too.
    I'll travel over the next 6 weeks or so felling happier than I would have with the dreadful noise in front of me!

Yes I am hoping ours doesn,t get any worse over the next 12 months as we plan to do the NT next year , but there again if it has to be done then so be it . Im just not convinced these new style autos are reliable as the much older ones in other makes , I know manufacturers are trying to make cars more economical and the tricky VW DSG is their answer but is it strong enough when compared to the older ones with a torque converter . I am sure VW knew they stuffed up with their previous two auto,s as the last T4 had the adaptive model which was apparently as expensive back then to replace as the newer ones today 12k . It seems they stumbled from one disaster to another over the last 20 years or so Adaptive / Tiptronic and now the DSG . Our old Tiptronic would "hold " a low gear when descending a hill and then suddenly with a very alarming thud would suddenly decide to change up to a higher gear it used to p me off big time .

Users Country Flag
    Ohhh drive belt.

Yeah, ours lunched that last year (about a week before it was in for the service where it would have been replaced of course), drove it a few km's home then had to towed and mechanic and replaced with the HD belt kit. Not long later it ate it again, we think the AC compressor was the culprit so that was pulled and replaced too and it *seems* to have solved the issue so far.

I'm totally screwed though. I don't really want to buy another vehicle that is so large since these days it's only used by my Wife to drive herself and one of the kids to school, and damn seven seats and tow bar are handy. The same move would be to sell the Cabriolet I don't drive and park the van out the back for the small amount of times I need it which would also let me keep the seating capacity and tow bar without spending any more money. Maintenance should be very low since I only do 2,000km / year in the second car. I should then buy something like the T-Cross for my Wife to drive.

In reality I'll probably end up with something like the Kodiaq and keep the Golf since I love it so much.

Didn,t you fit the "Robustness "kit , I saw it mentioned here some time ago and around 8000 kays before the belt was due to be done I had it done to our van as my mates had already lunched his engine and it spooked me . Luck would have it that doing it earlier than VW said so was saviour as the drive belt was already shredding and would have failed in a few weeks or so anyway .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast