Support VWWC

Thread: 2007 Multivan - Driver seat beyond use by date

Users Country Flag

2007 Multivan - Driver seat beyond use by date

Just returned from a round trip Brisbane to Townsville and doesn't my coccyx know it. I felt the metal frame of the back of the seat base the whole trip.

I recall it being said that there are issues with rebuilding or replacing seats fitted with airbags, so what options do I have to make life more comfortable?

Most seats built with airbags in the back rest {squab } for those who are not motor trimmers like me , have the airbag on the outer sides and its the actual cover that is specifically designed to burst open at the stitching when the airbag deploys . I would imagine your issue is with the metal frame maybe cutting through the moulded foam that is covering the frame as you get in and out , its a common problem . Does the cover have a little tag with airbag printed on it somewhere down the side ? Now any motor trimmer will be able to rectify the foam without compromising the airbag , if its the lower back which is giving you problems then it would not affect the airbag any way . Most of the van seats have a hardened part moulded into the foam itself but over time it will get cut through by the support spring part . I removed both our squab covers and fitted a pump up lumbar support which makes long trips really good as you can put more pressure on your lower back . They fit behind the foam to give the best result or you can fit them directly behind the actual cover but its the cheats way .PS don,t ask me I,ve retired and don,t want to open up that can of worms anymore , I did my 40 years worth and do something else these days .Daley's - Product Catalogue >> Lumbar Support Rectangular PVC

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Thanks for the info.