Support VWWC

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2007/8 2.5 TDI multicom auto box issue

Quote Originally Posted by Sunny43.5 View Post
    I would suggest maybe adding an oil cooler to the transmission , the guy who did the rebuild told me they all should have one to help the oil stay in good condition .
    Did he mean an additional cooler ? they do have one.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Actually I spoke to them about a cooler yesterday. Apparently my auto box has a large heat sink on it and it's about impossible to fit an additional cooler, but then again, that was before we found the box had chewed out. Maybe it's possible once the box is ripped out of the car.

The hose connections might be accessible with the front in service position. Maybe worth having the auto fluid temp.
    range tested by VCDS or one of those bluetooth apps. so you have an idea if you really need another cooler.

just had my auto repaired, 160K, and had an air cooler fitted at the front low down.Has vents cut in the underbody protection for airflow.
    The trans guy recommended it for these autos(he has a T5), takes longer for the oil to go dark.
    And i hardly ever tow.
    Replaces the standard oil/water cooler(heater ).
    Last edited by Rebuild; 05-12-2018 at 02:59 PM.
    Steve
    04 T5 auto 2.5L TDI

Yes when ours was rebuilt the guy fitted an extra cooler unit down low at the front as well like Rebuild , as I reported the bloke who bought our old T5 is still driving it and seems happy as we know each other quite well . I have maintained all along that VW never test things in the real world so the idiot who came up with a non service system should have been tortured in the outback so he could understand that no fluid will last in Australia s harsh conditions . Here is the conversation between the boffins at VW "Have you tested the auto in those vans ? yes we drove them around the Mohave desert for 6 weeks and no problems " Meanwhile in the real world it ended up being a REAL torture test that lasts for YEARS not weeks .

Drum clutch is chewed out, hence the swarf & the rest of the ironmongery appears OK.

Galleries & valves are being refurbished, so fingers crossed I'll get it back early next week.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiels3927 View Post
    Drum clutch is chewed out, hence the swarf & the rest of the ironmongery appears OK.

Galleries & valves are being refurbished, so fingers crossed I'll get it back early next week.
    Have you checked the drum, I have read that the cause of the clutches chewing out is that the drum has cracked. I now suspect that these boxes can be sealed for life (mine has done 266,000km and still perfect), where we see failure it may be because the drum has cracked and chewed off all the clutch material which then blocks the filters. It is easy to then say that the problem was that it was sealed for life, but the question should be asked, why did the clutch material tear off in the first place.

sorry, I'll clarify. Drum id buggered & being replaced.

BrianJ is on the money blocked filter will kill the tranny , I still have my original filter with all the porous parts blocked . Now if I am not mistaken when there is no fluid passing through multiple moving parts there WILL be a disaster as friction will break down the bits and the filter is where they will find a new home . Sealed for Life was the bigest lie perpetrated on Aussie motorists .

Yep but this one had a sump off new filter oil change at 140ish (because I wanted one done) & another at 155ish (per the book) and crashed between there and 170 - or are we talking about another filter?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast