Thread: 2004 T5 headlight plug type?

2004 T5 headlight plug type?

Hey folks,

Hoping for a bit of advice.

I installed an Adventure Kings LED lightbar today, but I couldn't connect the Smart wiring harness it was supplied with to the T5 headlights yet.

Unless I've completely missed something, the supplied piggyback connectors (HB3 and H4 plug types) don't seem to fit, as the plug type in the back of my headlight is a much bigger 14 pin connector.

2004 T5 headlight plug type?-img_9593-jpg

I'm happy to purchase an adapter or a new piggyback connector, but I can't for the life of me find what plug type this is on Google?

Does anyone know what plug type this is?

Thanks!
    Jon

Users Country Flag
    That's the main plug for the whole headlamp.

The globes have their own plugs inside the back of the headlight.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Does the light bar come with a relay in its wiring ? if so do what we did with both our T5,s . Wire up the relay close to the battery in the normal way , then you should have a trigger wire which you connect to the high beam wire . Use a test meter to probe the wires until you find the one that goes 12V when high beam is selected , connect that one to the appropriate pin on the relay and thats it simple . If you want to only have the light bar on at certain times then you need to fit an off on switch inside and cut into the wire going to the lamp or even the trigger wire .

Thanks guys,

@Umai Naa!! - Makes sense, but is it easy enough to access the globe plugs to attach a wiring harness? The headlight looks like a closed unit (aside from the access panel at the back to reach the globes, and I can't have wiring running in there), and the plug from my picture above seems to be the only on accessible.

@Sunny43.5 - the bar came with a full plug and play wiring harness including relay and switch (Kings Smart Harness | Plug n Play Spotlight Wiring Harness | Easy DIY Install | Deutsch plugs - 4WD Supacentre)
    I chose this one as I'm not really good with electrical stuff, and it all should just plug together. I'm just not sure if I need a different piggyback harness for the plug I pictured above, or whether I need to dig deeper for a different plug as Umai Naa!! suggested...

Thanks!
    Jon

OK, am all sorted.

@Umai Naa!! - spot on, once I pulled the cover off to access the plug on the back of the headlight globe, the wiring harness fit.

Now I just have to get creative to allow the wiring to pass through the sealed enclosure without overly compromising the weather sealing...

Thanks!

Users Country Flag

That weather sealing stretches quite a bit when new but can get a bit brittle as it ages.
    2018 Crafter Runner
    T5.2 6sp manual.