Support VWWC

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: 2.5 TDI Transporter BPC 2009 info thread

Yep, although I have stayed at really cold QLD outback places.
    That video you linked made me think of the glow plugs.
    cheers.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Fair point, OK you sold me, I'll add the extra fuel line and cap it off...and as for glow plugs, I've only ever seen metallic plugs in the three VAG's I've pulled apart...
    2014 Skoda Yeti TDI Outdoor 4x4 | Audi Q3 CFGC repower | Darkside cams | Darkside dump pDPF | Wagner Comp IC | Water Meth | Bilstein B6 H&R springs | Rays Homura 2x7 18 x 8" 255 Michelin 4s | Golf R subframe | Superpro sway and bushings | 034 engine mounts | MK6 GTI brakes.

Fuel gauge sender

One more - while the fuel sender is out, (if you have it out still) is to measure its resistances for your records & notes.

Well the new lifter pump is in, dropping the tank wasn't that hard at all. Didn't even jack the car up, just pivoted the dropped tank. Sure am glad I got the cap ring tool to get the outer ring off, it was stuck fast, had to WD40 it and took all I had to crack it!

Extra fuel line is in and capped off to keep Syncrotek happy, and the fuel gauge sender cleaned up and swapped over very easily. Everything had a black sooty coating on it, and the old pump looked pretty dirty, so drained the tank completely and used an old towel to clean out the bottom. Nice to start afresh.

New pump makes a lot more noise, so that's hopefully a good thing, and it primed up hella quick compared to the old one. Gave it a crank and got white smoke, but still no fire, so at least I have fuel now. Will investigate and try and diagnose tomorrow, I have all day to try and get her to start. Nothing left to replace now, so hopefully it's down to something simple. I've asked a well regarded local mobile VAG mechanic to drop by when he can, as I'm at my wits end trying to get this thing to go, so the end of this saga should be nigh. I'm very interested to have him tell me what I'm doing wrong, as I'm all out of ideas, and this would be the first motor out of many, many different types over my life so far that has beat me. You win Germans.
    2014 Skoda Yeti TDI Outdoor 4x4 | Audi Q3 CFGC repower | Darkside cams | Darkside dump pDPF | Wagner Comp IC | Water Meth | Bilstein B6 H&R springs | Rays Homura 2x7 18 x 8" 255 Michelin 4s | Golf R subframe | Superpro sway and bushings | 034 engine mounts | MK6 GTI brakes.

I have edited a number of former posts across page 4 and 5 as I've figured a few things out with the timing tools and got rid of some posts where I was going around in circles.

So I have spent the weekend pulling the motor down to the cam twice, and experimenting with the cam and timing positions. I'm still getting nothing, but a squirt of Start ya Bastard gives her a rev, so it just needs fuel. It's incredibly vexing, but I DID find these posts, one being a fellow Aussie that also had my exact problem, so it HAS to be the cam.

Thread on cam being out 180 ( plus a nice Tandem pump writeup ) - 2.5 TDI AXE not starting after cam install (aarrghh) | Page 2 | VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum

My problem exactly! - 2.5 TDI Won't run with cam sensor. SOLVED Timing gear issue | VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum

As mentioned a few posts back, I'm going to try the Russian idea of a piece of steel keeping the cam dead level with the top of the head, as I figure my cam tool is introducing enough error for the car to not start. I'll start from scratch, reset and lock the bottom end, get the cam dead level, play with the cam gear timing mark position, and then prime it like mad. Fingers bloody crossed.

Still fighting. Took the motor right down to the near bare head, and rebuilt, checking and rechecking every step. Still honestly can't work out which crank rotation is the right one, but am narrowing it down, next effort will be to flip the cam on this current setup, and if still nothing, well it's off to the mechanic, I'm done.

Did find some weird things. On bleeding every step of the fuel lines, I found if you run the lifter pump for the 30sec via VCDS and unhook the return (brown ) line, fuel comes out of the tank via the return!! WTF. There is also the normal pressure in the black VF line as you'd expect, this is very strange. Anyone shed some light on this??? It seems the lifter pressurises both lines???? I had to run the pump, unhook and block the brown return line with my finger to get all the froth etc out of the lines. Also had to bypass the HPFP to get any sort of flow with the lifter through the fuel rail and injectors, I'm getting suspicious on my new HPFP, going to put the old one back on before I swap the cam again, it does seem like something just isn't working as it should. I did take the new HPFP apart and checked it over, but it all seems fine. Even filled it with diesel and carefully bolted it back on, so there's no air bubbles anywhere, but still nothing.

But yeah if anyone can tell me the VW pump should be pressurising the system enough that it gets backflow up the return, then please let me know, does not seem right.....

OK, caught up with family over Easter, my Dad and Brother are good mechanics, and we nutted out the possibilities. Long story short today I am convinced timing is spot on, cam is correct, and there is no specific TDC that matters despite what both VW and Haynes say. I think VW just meant the black arm tool is keyed like the crank turning tool.

I tried the old HPFP but it has the same restriction to priming via the lifter the new one does, so made no difference. Checked new one, seems fine, so it's back on.

Pulled glow plugs to check both TDC and to eject any accumulated fuel and guess what. ZERO FUEL out the glow plug holes despite repeated efforts. Dry as a bone. I've been wasting time thinking it's timing, when each effort shows me everything is spot on, every mark is perfect. Seems I've just wasted time......

Diagnosed this lack of fuel down, and I have a loom signal problem, there is no signal going to injectors, messed with the round head plug and got a brief voltage change to cylinder 1 on cranking, but it appears my whole problem is no electrical signal to the injectors to fire. Might have a loose plug to head or to one injector, as these PD injectors wired in series all drop out if one goes down / has a bad connection. Will mix up old and new injectors, and play with loom tomorrow, but I think I've solved my nightmare. Sure hope so....
    Last edited by Greg Roles; 19-04-2022 at 08:22 AM.

Well she's showing signs of life, won't keep running as yet, it's absolutely pumping out the soot from months and months of old diesel cranking and endlessly being pulled apart.....just waiting for the battery to charge back up, the runs are lasting longer and longer, guess it's just air in the fuel lines etc now.....so god damn close.....

Loom problem was in the plug, with injector on cylinder 1 and 2 having dodgey connections, no doubt from me plugging and unplugging it multiple times, had to use a multimeter to check for continuity. Tightened up the female portion of the plug, made sure the male part was straight and hey presto, we have fire.
    Last edited by Greg Roles; 19-04-2022 at 06:52 PM.

Users Country Flag
    Really appreciate your hard work and documentation

Cheers

I'm bringing in the local VAG mobile mechanic, we had a long chat, he said he has had drama with the cheaper timing tools and wants to put his genuine set on the car, reckons they are so super sensitive to timing it's not funny. He started out with a copy set, and threw them away after two bad experiences. My van will kinda fire as it is, stumbles but won't actually run, all I'm doing is overheating my poor starter and ripping the life out of the battery, plus I'm giving myself lung cancer with all the soot I'm breathing in the shed!

Will report back when he's had a crack at the timing. Going to drop the tank again and investigate the in-tank lifter pump, as he agrees priming both lines is all wrong, sure seems so to me!

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast