Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: 2.5 TDI Transporter BPC 2009 info thread

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

OK been a while but I've still had no luck getting it to actually go.

The mechanics Taiwan "HCB-B1419" tool set ( $1k ) definitely puts the cam several degrees more advanced ( clockwide ) compared to the China tools, but there is a fair bit of freeplay in the China cam tool. This fancy tool set still shows no special TDC on the crank, so I'm at a total loss what VW were on about. Mechanic suggests 5 cylinders is the reason, but the better tool has no specific TDC.

I plan to spend this weekend diagnosing the injectors, as I pulled them recently and three had surface rust on the god damn tips thanks to all the rain we have been having. I wire brushed them back to shiny and penetrating oiled them, but the actual injector holes may be rusted up, so I've got to pull the inlet and see if fuel spray is coming out of each inlet hole. I've three good old injectors so may swap them back in just for ****s and giggles.

I'm still convinced there is something wrong in the fuel circuit given the fact the return line is pressurizing, gonna drop the tank and pull the pump and test it. Still should at least start a bit though. That too makes no sense.

PD injectors and the internal nature of the loom and fuel supply make it hard to diagnose, but I have put my multimeter across all the wiring and checked for continuity. I guess a oscilloscope is the next thing to check they are actually firing.

Probably going to have to send the injectors back to the UK to get them tested, will be the quickest and most reliable way, my VAG mechanic doesn't know of anyone decent who does PD injectors in Australia.

I've got all new stretch bolts so my final step is to pull it down to the head gasket and get my mechanic build it up from there bit by bit.
    Last edited by Greg Roles; 31-01-2024 at 11:56 AM.
    2014 Skoda Yeti TDI Outdoor 4x4 | Audi Q3 CFGC repower | Darkside cams | Darkside dump pDPF | Wagner Comp IC | Water Meth | Bilstein B6 H&R springs | Rays Homura 2x7 18 x 8" 255 Michelin 4s | Golf R subframe | Superpro sway and bushings | 034 engine mounts | MK6 GTI brakes.

Well Fook me it FINALLY runs, and it started right up from bone dry injectors once happy.

I've been busy at work / unmotivated to keep slogging it out with this engine, but I DID buy a "smart hook" powered probe tester that has injector pulse and oscilloscope functions, and used this to check all my injectors. They all fired fine when sent various signals, so I figured there had to be something else. My "new" reco injectors had some mild surface corrosion on the tips from all the time they have been sitting, and this led me to think, how are the fuel orifices? I got out my jewlers loupe/monocular and low and behold, half the god damn holes were clogged up, most likely from me brass wire brushing the tips back. I got the finest needle I could find in the missus's sewing kit and poked them all, there's 6 holes in the end of each tip, about half way down the "cone". They are tiny, and even a super small needle point only just went in. I cleaned up all the holes, soaked them in injector purge overnight, and put them back in.

I replaced the injector loom with a cheap China one ( $34 ) just as an added precaution, given how any times I had plugged and unplugged the new VAG one I had put in way back at the start, and thought there may have been a bad connection. I did check continuity with the multimeter and it said all was fine across the plug, but why not for $34. Seems the same as the $150 I got from Darkside anyway!

So in hindsight I reckon I solved some problems, which lead me onto new problems, and all the time the injector tips were surface corroding creating still more problems. Getting decent cam timing tools was no doubt a key part. Anyway it was amazing how easy it started, just cycled the key about 20 times and cranked for 30 seconds and away she went. Got her up to temp, have an oil leak from the crank timing cover to fix and one of the rockers is knocking a bit so I'll go back in and reset all of those when hot, but she is amazingly quiet for what it is, smooth, and happy to rev up. WAY quieter than all the going motors I've heard, hardly any gear noise, must have gotten the lash just right!

SO this ends my journey with this engine, I reckon it will run forever now, it's built like a Panzer tank, but when it plays up, well best bring in an expert and avoid thinking you are as clever as I initially thought I was!!
    Last edited by Greg Roles; 31-01-2024 at 11:59 AM.
    2014 Skoda Yeti TDI Outdoor 4x4 | Audi Q3 CFGC repower | Darkside cams | Darkside dump pDPF | Wagner Comp IC | Water Meth | Bilstein B6 H&R springs | Rays Homura 2x7 18 x 8" 255 Michelin 4s | Golf R subframe | Superpro sway and bushings | 034 engine mounts | MK6 GTI brakes.

Users Country Flag
    I'm glad you've fixed it. Great job there. Yeah, it pays to look after them. I've been very happy with my T5 4mo AXE for 11 year, I wish I've never sold it, it was great van. Pity they don't make them anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Transporter View Post
    I'm glad you've fixed it. Great job there. Yeah, it pays to look after them. I've been very happy with my T5 4mo AXE for 11 year, I wish I've never sold it, it was great van. Pity they don't make them anymore.
    Nice to hear from you ol' mate, yeah it's been the most challenging engine I've ever come across, but thankfully now all I have to do is maintain it. At least the struggle has left me quite educated on this engine, so I do know it backwards. Keeping it cool, and swapping the oil a lot is my plan!

Finally ready and washed for RWC.

2.5 TDI Transporter BPC 2009 info thread-imag0073-jpg

Excellent effort Greg. Now enjoy driving it!

Users Country Flag
    Excellent thread! Very informative. Thanks Greg!!
    As a VW hobbiest, I too have worked on a few engines in my time, but this VW 2.5 BPC is next level! There have been many, many FML moments ... and that was just on the strip down before I had even gotten access to the cylinder head.
    I was in the process of doing a Darkside cam replacement + injector seal replacement + head gasket replacement on my 2008 Multivan (2.5 BPC 4-Motion 6 Speed manual) and found this thread by chance. I bought my van in April 2021 in the middle of COVID. I bought it knowing that it had issues (typical tapping noise cause by dodgy cam/cam followers). The body was in really good shape and I needed the 4-Motion as it will be doing light-offroading-camping from time-to-time. My young kids absolutely love this van, so once they'd driven in it, not-fixing it was NOT an option.
    So glad I found this thread when I did, as my van is high-mileage (350000Km's). I had cleaned my cylinder head and had not even noticed the scaring/wear on the injector inserts/holes as Greg pointed out. I'll include screenshots of all injector slots (sequentially) from RHD-drivers-side to passenger side (when I get a chance)
    Interestingly, the original lower-end engine (block/sleeves/top-of-pistons) all look like they're in great shape for a vehicle with this much mileage. That is obviously just my novice opinion and there could well be more sinister bits hiding internally. That said, the van drove really well and was very smooth, even with the cam and cam followers stuffed (only one of the cam followers was worn through).
    So now, I need to decide whether to take a chance with the old cylinder head or bite the bullet and order a new AMC as Greg mentioned.
    As mentioned in this thread, getting parts in the Sunshine Coast-QLD is either dealer or order-via-Europe. I order most of my stuff from the UK/Germany, so my progress on this might be a little delayed.
    2.5 TDI Transporter BPC 2009 info thread-slot1-jpg 2.5 TDI Transporter BPC 2009 info thread-slot2-jpg 2.5 TDI Transporter BPC 2009 info thread-slot3-jpg 2.5 TDI Transporter BPC 2009 info thread-slot4-jpg2.5 TDI Transporter BPC 2009 info thread-slot5-jpg

2.5 TDI Transporter BPC 2009 info thread-engineblock-jpg
    Last edited by JimmyFingerz; 07-10-2022 at 10:55 AM.

Welcome to the old forum, glad this has helped, apologies for slow reply, only check in from time to time.

I'd suggest the AMC head over the China FAI, not from Darkside though, they are a bit pricey compared to other UK suppliers, but unless you can get someone to push in some metal liners there's not much other option. I considered liquid steel and running the injector bridge to prevent toggle, but to be honest I don't want to have this god damn engine apart again for quite some time, still have PTSD because of the experience!! I have my old head and injectors if you want to see if someone will machine up and press fit some steel liners!

Interesting to hear your cylinder bores still seem good at 350k!!

Please feel welcome to add any info or experiences you have to this thread, for if I had found a comprehensive post like this before I started, I would have saved a lot of time and money, and probably have more hair still!
    Last edited by Greg Roles; 31-01-2024 at 12:00 PM.

Users Country Flag
    Thanks for the info Greg. PM sent .

Double post
    Last edited by Greg Roles; 31-01-2024 at 12:01 PM.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast