Support VWWC

Thread: VW Caddy EcoFuel World Tour hits Australia

Users Country Flag

Post VW Caddy EcoFuel World Tour hits Australia

- Ben

1961 Karmann Ghia Coupé - 1993 Golf Cabriolet - 2006 Golf Comfortline 1.9L TDI
    2008 Jetta 2.0L FSI

Users Country Flag
    I saw it on the news tonight and it was the first I'd heard of it.

Pity VW aust. didn't tell the VW Clubs around Aust. to get them involved.

Maris

brackie Guest

A sensible move

We need more natural gas transport. The big problem is heavy storage cylinders so I wonder how much space and mass is taken up with them in the Caddy.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Green T4
    I saw it on the news tonight and it was the first I'd heard of it.

Pity VW aust. didn't tell the VW Clubs around Aust. to get them involved.

Maris

I agree VW Marketing should have really done more to tell Australia what might come in the future

Did you see the Yellow Kombi Beach in the report ?

Quote Originally Posted by brackie
    We need more natural gas transport. The big problem is heavy storage cylinders so I wonder how much space and mass is taken up with them in the Caddy.

Quote Originally Posted by VW Caddy EcoFuel PR

The natural gas Caddy With the Caddy EcoFuel, Volkswagen Nutzfahrzeuge is embarking on a new direction in the development of environmentally friendly, cost-oriented vehicles. The Caddy EcoFuel from VWN makes a convincing and impressive contribution to the development of vehicles with alternative fuels.

The natural gas tanks holding 26 kg of fuel are located under the body of the vehicle and provide a range of about 430 kilometres. Generously sized conduit and valve cross-sections permit rapid, low-noise refuelling. As a result, regular stops at the refuelling station are comparable in duration to those of a petrol-driven vehicle. The underfloor principle retains variability without reducing the interior or cargo volume. This means it is still possible to fit the Caddy EcoFuel with seven seats.

The Caddy EcoFuel looks no different from a conventionally fuelled Caddy. The vehicle is fitted with a quasi-monovalent engine concept. This means the engine is optimised for natural gas operation but can also run on petrol if there is insufficient natural gas available to reach the nearest natural gas refuelling station. The changeover to conventional fuel takes place automatically when the gas tank is empty (residual pressure 10 bar) and is indicated by a separate fuel gauge on the display.

The engine has a relatively high compression ratio (13.5:1) for optimum efficiency when operating with natural gas. When running on petrol, the ignition point is delayed and the throttle butterfly setting altered to “compensate” for the high compression. The 2.0 litre engine designed to run on natural gas delivers 80 kW / 109 h.p. The engine is always started using petrol. If the driver forgets to fill the petrol tank after a long search for a refuelling station, it is possible to use five “emergency starts” with natural gas.

Currently, one kilogram of natural gas in Germany costs about 75 Euro cents. The average fuel consumption of the Caddy EcoFuel is six kilograms per 100 kilometres. This amounts to a cost of about 4.50 Euros per 100 kilometres. There are about 700 natural gas refuelling stations in Germany to ensure adequate provision. In addition, some municipalities and energy suppliers offer subsidies to promote the purchase of natural gas vehicles.
    VWCV Aust. had a look at importing Caddy EcoFuel but decided against at this stage
    Last edited by phaeton; 18-02-2007 at 08:25 AM.
    - Ben

2008 Jetta 2.0L FSI

brackie Guest

Not here....

VWA wouldn't consider it as there are no refueling stations...yet. As usual, we'll be the last to get anything like this. I vaguely remember natural gas being used in other countries where people had a small compressor that allowed them to refill at home from their gas outlet. I wonder how the Feds would put an excise on that? I'm sure they would either find a way (perhaps with an annual tax on gas powered vehicles) or just ban it altogether. After all, what's more important, more environmentally friendly, cheaper and more abundant fuels, or revenue?

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Quote Originally Posted by brackie
    VWA wouldn't consider it as there are no refueling stations...yet. As usual, we'll be the last to get anything like this. I vaguely remember natural gas being used in other countries where people had a small compressor that allowed them to refill at home from their gas outlet. I wonder how the Feds would put an excise on that? I'm sure they would either find a way (perhaps with an annual tax on gas powered vehicles) or just ban it altogether. After all, what's more important, more environmentally friendly, cheaper and more abundant fuels, or revenue?
    VGA has had a a look at bringing it but as I said above it was shelved

LCV Aust. Mag said Iveco may bring a CNG Iveco Daily.
    If that is successful and others (Holden, Renault & Ford) follow Iveco VGA may look at CNG again
    - Ben

2008 Jetta 2.0L FSI