Thread: spare wheel mounting

Users Country Flag

spare wheel mounting

my son has just bought a 2012 LWB TDI 4Motion, just the commercial version with 2 seats and vinyl back.
    the spare wheel was just sitting loose in the back, and on inspection underneath the car, there is nothing there to mount/hang it.
    there is no bracket welded on for the cradle to hang off, or the provision for the cradle to bolt to the body. is this a LWB thing, or something to do with 4motion diff being in the road?

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Would someone who has LWB be able to take a couple of pics their cradle mount, and how it bolts up at the back please!
    thanks in advance!

Users Country Flag
    I think you'll find it's behind the rear axle and beside the rear muffler. There's a big bracket held in by 2x 17mm bolts that tend to rust in place.

I could be wrong...
    carandimage The place where Off-Topic is On-Topic
    I used to think I was anal-retentive until I started getting involved in car forums

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    I think you'll find it's behind the rear axle and beside the rear muffler. There's a big bracket held in by 2x 17mm bolts that tend to rust in place.

I could be wrong...
    Had another look, there is nothing at all underneath. Have a funny feeling the wheel straps down inside on the right side back corner?